Intro

Spring 2026

Krista

New York City, Thursday night

"And that's a wrap!" The curtains came down from the stage and the cast clapped one more time before splitting up backstage.

Taking off my mic from my forehead, which was attached to my wig, I gave it to the sound crew and walked towards the dressing room.

I have one more month before I wrap this production of The Color Purple and then I have a small break before becoming a background singer for my Auntie Bey's new tour. She hasn't officially asked me but I'm manifesting becoming her background singer. I currently play Shug Avery in the Broadway production and I'm loving it! This character is total opposite of anything I've ever played and it's been an exciting challenge. And when I say Auntie Bey, yes I'm referring to Queen Beyoncé but that's a story time I'll share with y'all later.

I wiped off my makeup and quickly changed my clothes, before saying goodbye to the other ladies in the dressing room and headed towards the front entrance of the theater to wait for my ride. I could easily take an Uber or the train back to my apartment, but my parents insisted on hiring car service while I continue this gig. In their eyes, it's crazy people in the world and a young, famous, Black woman shouldn't be roaming around in New York streets.

I'm 21, freshly graduated from THEE illustrious Spelman college in Atlanta, and I've learned over the years to just accept my parents help.

As I walked through the theater's lobby, people asked for my pictures and autographs and I happily obliged. Yes, I was tired and ready to shower and go to bed, but that's apart of the life I signed up for.

Fans of the show are super sweet, which makes it easy to take pictures and chat a bit.

Once I made it through the crowd, I saw my driver, Pierre, waiting to open the door for me. I greeted him as he opened and closed my door.

I sent my family a group message letting them know I made it to the car and was heading home—my nightly routine with them.

With light traffic for a Thursday night, I arrived home in 20 minutes and thanked Pierre for the ride. I would be seeing him in a few hours for my morning flight home.

Making my way through my apartment's lobby area, I walked to the elevator and used my digital key to head to my floor. Already having my keys in hand, I opened the door and turned the light on.

The smell of vanilla filled my nostrils and I slipped my shoes off at the door and placed my keys in its holder.

Walking barefoot to my bathroom, I turned the shower on and started my Tidal playlist to get my night started.

I still had to finish packing my bags and needed to edit my little sister, Zaya's essay before going to sleep. She begged me to help her out and because it was a short 3 page essay, I said yes.

Stripping down from my clothes, I took my time showering and singing along to Sadé. I got out, lotioned myself, and put on my favorite silk pj's. It's late at night so I grabbed a snack and made a cup of tea.

I changed my music to soft jazz and started working on ZayZay's essay. After the edits and emailing her the final copy, I finished packing and called it a night.

~~~~
Atlanta

I made it out of baggage claim and walked outside of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport, looking up at the bright sunny skies before hearing a blaring car honk to my left.

I shook my head and walked towards the SUV. Knowing that I couldn't greet the driver just yet, I quickly placed my bags in the trunk and hopped into the passenger seat.

"Mama!" I immediately hugged her as she kissed all over my face.

"My baby!" She exclaimed. I laughed at the greeting and hugged her again. She quickly looked at the rear view mirror before pulling off to the road.

"So, Krista Nicole, how's New York treating you? I know you tell us all the good stuff but I wanna know how you really feel." She asked me. I sighed and contemplated if I should really tell her what's been going on. It didn't take long to simply tell the truth because Mama is seriously the best listener.

"Honestly, it's been hard on my mental health Mama. I know being casted on Broadway has always been a dream of mine, but I miss home. I miss my life here in Atlanta. I've never been away from family this long." I said.

She looked at me briefly as she drove and pouted.

"Aww baby, you want us to move to New York? You know Monique will do it in a heartbeat." Mama said. We both laughed because Mommy would move without any questions asked. When it comes to family, Erica Monique Campbell does not play.

"Yeah and that's the exact reason I really didn't wanna tell y'all. I love the work and my cast mates, but I guess it's just taking me longer to get used to living in a new city away from y'all." I said.

"But enough about that. Are you ready for this weekend?" I asked her.

She crossed her eyes playfully before shaking her head yes.

"Yeah I'm ready. Being on the cover of Essence is huge! And the fact that your Mommy and I will have creative control over the project is even better. Our story is so special and we needed to be in control of the narrative. This is the first and last time we will ever talk about our love story." She said. I just looked at her in awe.

"I'm so glad me and my siblings can also be a part of this shoot. I know y'all will break the Internet once it comes out and people will talk, but y'all have such a strong support system that it won't matter." I said.

"Thank you for the encouragement. You were always my dawg before me and Erica even got together. I was so scared you wouldn't accept us and if you didn't like me, I wouldn't have pursued her." She said.

"Seriously? You wouldn't have got together because of me?" I asked surprised.

"Yes Kris. Deadass as the kids like to say." She joked. "But you are your Mama's first baby. She is obsessed with you and if you didn't approve, I would've had to just remain friends. It would've been hard as hell but my intention was to never come between you, Wozy, or Zaya." She said.

"Wow Ma, that's the definition of real love. But that would've never happened because I saw the bond y'all had as friends and I secretly shipped you two together. Shoot, even your fans did!" I said. She smiled as I kept rambling on.

We got off that subject because Mama didn't like being mushy for too long, and talked about the current projects she's working on.

It takes a lot of courage to publicly announce to the world that two of the biggest stars in Gospel music, Erica Campbell & Kierra Sheard, are not only a couple, but have been happily married for 8 years. I'm glad they chose Essence Magazine to get the exclusive interview.

I know I just gave y'all a lot to digest and you may be a bit confused.

Well let's go back to the very beginning....

*****COMMENT, VOTE*****

What do y'all think so far of this story?

I wanted to stretch myself as a writer, and I think this story will be one of my favorites to date.