"That's right, sir," the first soldier answered him. "I believe there were some stragglers that fled in the chaos as well, but they aren't going to get very far. It's almost a non-issue at this point."

The second soldier added, "Even if we don't pursue them, civilians in a warzone aren't going to last very long."

Rosa's blood ran cold, and in an instant her confusion was replaced by fear and anger. The latter was something she was certain she did not have the energy to have piled on top of everything, and at this point something she was used to keeping in check anyways. However, it spurred her on anyway even if it didn't boil over. It wasn't difficult to put two and two together and figure out what was going on, and it was enough to make her want to throw up.

As soon as she drew their attention to her presence, she could see the faces of the lower ranking soldiers pale as she spoke, almost demanding the attention of their superior. Her voice wavered, lacking the assertiveness from the likes of her father, but the cracks were unavoidable when she was trying to stay calm while shaking out of both terror and rage. "You're targeting civilians that remained on this island?"

"Your Highness..." the commander wasn't angry, his response nothing like what she was expecting. She gave him the opportunity to explain himself, hoping it was a misunderstanding, but things weren't that simple. "We're hardly targeting innocents here. Need I remind you of what General Parrish has done to this country?"

"What do they have to do with his actions?" It was all Rosa could do not to scoff.

"They backed his plan, is that not reason enough?" The commander didn't raise his voice, but he did allow his annoyance at her show through. He took a deep breath and tried to gain control over his emotions as he went on. "All who have remained to work and live on this island are of Belkan descent or have connections to those who are. Anyone that enabled Parrish's violence, aided in manipulating and undermining the King's rule, and all with connections to Gründer or Belka deserve a fate far worse than death for dividing our people and throwing us into this chaos. They're pests. Monsters, even."

Rosa could have sworn his response sounded rehearsed. Or parroted, perhaps from some higher ranking soldier than him. Certainly not from General Labarthe, not after his emphasis on humanity. "The only monster is the one who could look at children and bystanders and expect them to hold responsibility for the actions of others. They're Erusean citizens, their heritage doesn't change that. In what world is dragging frightened, vulnerable families out of their homes and executing them okay?"

"We are doing what we must for Erusea to survive. Destroying an infection," the commander said, squaring his shoulders. Rosa knew well enough she was escalating this situation, but she didn't care. "Killing them is a mercy. And trust me, if we didn't put a swift end to them everything would be far worse off. Belkans know nothing but hatred and violence, and so that is what we respond with. They are answering for their crimes, and while this is hardly something to celebrate it is something necessary for justice."

"You can't fix hatred and violence with more hatred and violence!" Rosa couldn't help but raise her voice. She wasn't sure if there was anyone left she was advocating for, but she was desperate to get someone to just listen and think. "If you slaughter these families, you're going to create a new need for justice. If you are constantly fighting and killing to get even, then the war is never going to end!"

"Your Highness, these are the orders I was given. It is not my position to question it, nor do I have any desire to. It's more than appropriate given the circumstances." His reply had less anger, though to Rosa it seemed obvious softening his tone was merely his attempt to get her to calm down and shut up. She knew the tactic well. "I assure you, once all of this is over, you will understand that they did not deserve to be treated like anything other than what they are: animals."