5. A pathetic way to die

Her whole face was red and sweaty due to the heat and sunburns had already started appearing on her exposed body parts.

       " Of all the places on earth why the hell did we have to be lost on this piece of crap?! "

     Aria side eyed Qin Cheng and sat down before responding.

      " Yeah we're really trapped in this barren piece of volcanic rocks surrounded by rocks and dangerous sea infested with white sharks. What a pathetic way to die. "

      Of all the three, Xander was the most composed. He had a casual look on his face as if non of those things concerned him.

       " If we stay here for another hour we're going to die in this heat. We need to take a risk in either case. "

  ***

       Finally after crossing the sea to the other larger island, they were able to breath in relief. For the second time they managed to escape a near death situation.

      Alexander was right, the island was much better and safer.

    It was cool and they could find a shade under the trees.

       While exploring, the group didn't have to go far before they came across a waterfall that formed a big stream at the bottom. The clear and sparkling water felt so rejuvenating as if their lives that had been cruelly snatched away were returned to them. They were also overjoyed to gather ripe bananas, berries and coconuts in that forest area.

      " A plane or a fishing boat will pass, pick us up and take us to the nearest town. It'll be fine. "

      Xander's voice was deep and husky as he gently patted Aria's head.

       Seated around the fire, they had just finished gathering bunches of rocks and tree branches, arranged them on the beach to read SOS.

       Sighing without a word, Aria pursed her lips before laying her head on Xander's left shoulder.

       A hint of darkness quickly flashed across his dark eyes before he wrapped his arm around her. For the night, they spent it in a temporary shelter built out of huge tree branches.

      Day 2.

       It was late in the afternoon the following day on a Sunday. They had gotten lost on a Friday night thus this was their second day on the island.

      They hadn't seen a sign of a boat or a plane that would come to their rescue.

       Deep down, the three were depressed and anxious but hid it in order not to make the other person restless or hopeless.

      When or how they were going to leave the island was a dilemma. For now, they had to survive, waiting for a miracle to happen.

         Seated alone at the edge of the stream that was a few meters in the woods from the beach, Aria's legs were dipped into the water as she ran her hands through her long wet blonde hair that she had just washed.

        Her lips were pursed together as she kept sighing frustratedly.
What had she gotten herself into?

        She wished that she had just stayed at home and grief for her loss instead of taking the trip.

       Come to think about it, this was her first time on a boat or a ship. She wasn't a fan.
   It just happened that her friend had booked the trip with her partner but something came up so she had to cancel it. Instead of cancelling both tickets, she gave one to Aria and forced her on board.

      For now, that wasn't her biggest worry.

     During the day they had found a huge cave slightly in the woods which was a way better shelter for them in case of storms or any other happening.

       Aria's greatest fear was Alexander's health.

      Although he feigned it, she could tell that the guy was in so much pain yet he hid it with his perfect signature smile.
If his wound caught an infection, she didn't want to imagine what would happen.

     For some reason, just thinking about it her heart suddenly felt a stabbing pain as a feeling of suffocation assaulted her.
        With a rapid breath, she got up on her feet trying to ease the feeling.

       Things would be okay soon... It was all she could force herself to believe.

          Suddenly, her eyes caught on something at the beach, a distance from where they were camping.
Anything in the wilderness was very crucial to their survival.

        Wondering whether it was a huge rock, she raced out of the open woods in huge strides.

      " Oh my God! "

       A boat!