Chapter 28: A Crescendo On The Festival Eve

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. It is true that I... wanted him to be here. But, the class is depending on me so I have to do my best. You guys should do your best too."

A sincere smile escaped from Sonya that left her friends helpless. Deciding to forgive her brother, Lyra produced a lackadaisical grin and promptly changed the subject.

"Well, well! I guess we have to now! I figured that if Ken wasn't coming that you'd bail and I'd have to make Stella squeeze into your dress."

"Squeeze!"

Puffing out her cheeks, Stella fired a glare towards Lyra while Sonya continued.

"Hmm... Well I promised that I'd do it."

Pivoting to face Sonya, Stella's expression turned to one of unbridled excitement.

"You're so reliable, Sonya. Today is going to be really fun!"

"You can say that again! We get to make all the food! We should probably go... test the ingredients. Fufufu... C'mon Stellz!"

Amplifying her energy, Lyra wrapped her arm around Stella's shoulder and began to menacingly pull her toward the classroom door. Realizing that she would be left alone, Sonya called out in a panic.

"W-wait! What am I supposed to do!?"

"Huh? Be cutesy and attract a crowd! I'll come back later to take photos for Ken. Byeee!"

Ducking inside the classroom, Lyra and Stella disappeared from view. The sounds of shuffling students could be heard in the distance causing Sonya to reflect on her role.

"Cutesy... What does that even mean...?"

Filled with uncertainty, she turned to face the approaching crowd. Having been selected for this job, Sonya took a deep breath as her festival experience began in earnest.

"Finally, a break! This is shaping up to be a great festival. Right, Vice President?"

Slouching his posture, Lucas exhaled deeply while tilting his head to meet Mary's eyes which narrowed in response.

"I am a secretary and this is not 'a break'. We are making official rounds..."

Mary briskly stepped forward while cradling her clipboard as Lucas made a frown. Not looking back at him, she adjusted her glasses and glanced around before continuing in a less formal tone.

"That being said, the classes do seem to be having fun. Maybe even more so than last year."

Her behavior elicited a smile from Lucas as the boy jogged a few paces to catch up.

"Right? You did a great job keeping things organized. You should be proud! Hey, isn't it almost lunch time? "

"Hmm... I believe it is."

"Wasn't Miss Rose's class doing a café around here? Don't we have a little time to support our junior members? Please? Pretty please?"

Lucas pleaded childishly in a sing-songy voice that made Mary look around wildly.

"Stop before someone hears you and gets the wrong idea! They did borrow portable stove top units from the culinary club, so we should check in and make sure everything is going smoothly... and we do need to eat, I suppose..."

"Looks like I'm taking you to lunch!"

With unchecked bravado, Lucas announced his intentions while extending his pointer finger into the air. Upon hearing him, Mary's cheeks filled with blush as her voice crackled with embarrassment.

"Erk! Why do you have to say it like- What is going on here!?"

Her attention was usurped by the large group of male students blocking the hallway. Quickly forgetting about Lucas' outburst, Mary singled out three first year boys that were sprinting towards the gathering of students.