He produced a pair of goggles. They were large, ponderous things that would surely look ridiculous on me. There was a little gear on the side that could be rolled up or down. I tilted my head in confusion. A second later, he produced a small, black rubber ball. With a sidelong glance my way, he threw the ball into the pool. I watched as it sunk to the bottom, unsure of what he expected me to do.

"Please retrieve the ball, Sixteen."

I crossed my arms, "What is this, fetch?"

Amusement broke across his face, and he tilted his head, "I suppose it is if you'd like to look at it that way." I didn't move, regarding him through narrowed eyes. "What's the matter? Too scared?" He smiled wryly.

"Hardly." I was under the water moments later, surrounded by a susurrus of bubbles that petted my skin as they rose to the surface. The water was warmer than I would've expected. My aching limbs screamed in relief without the strenuous pull of gravity to wear them down. Complete and utter silence encircled me, serene in nature. I could only relish in the feeling for so long before I ran out of breath-- so I began searching the concreted underbelly of the pool. Through bleary eyes, I spotted what appeared to be a black smudge. I made my way towards it, feeling the pressure on my body increase as I got deeper and deeper, perhaps twelve feet. By the time my fingers wrapped around the rubber ball, my lungs were screaming for relief. I pushed off the bottom and resurfaced a moment later, holding the ball high above my head.

"I got it," I called through breathless gasps. I paddled my way towards Peter and pulled myself out of the water. "I got it," I repeated.

"Well done," He praised, "However, that was only the easy part. Now, I want you to put these on." He took the ball from me, and I took the goggles.

"These aren't very fashionable, Peter," I muttered, glancing down at the atrocious eyewear.

He chuckled breathily and shook his head, "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Sixteen. Perhaps I could have them modified to meet your standards?" I grinned as I pulled them on, swelling with pride despite how easy the task had been. For, once, I had succeeded. Small victories, indeed.

My skull felt constrained after I pulled the goggles on. The lenses were a little dim, but at least my vision wouldn't be so blurry once I got underwater. Peter's fingers found the side of the goggles. He rolled the gear, and the lenses darkened. I frowned.

"Now, don't be nervous. It may be harder to see, but you can still make out the bottom of the pool," Peter explained. His fingers lingered on the side of the goggles, palm resting against my cheek. He pulled away a moment later, and a telling 'plunk' sounded as the ball sunk into the pool. "Go ahead," He pushed the small of my back, directing me towards the water.

Water surrounded me on all sides. I couldn't see very well, and the bubbles that I produced became rather disorienting. After a brief pause, I gathered my bearings. Focus. Once I was satisfied, I began scanning the bottom, unable to make out much of anything. My limited field of view proved to be quite the nuisance as the pool completely blurred together into one endless, grey slab of concrete. Focus. I wasn't quite sure why, but my gut told me to swim to my left. I did. My lungs cried out for air, and then my hand met the hard outside of the ball. I gripped it between my fingers and swam to the top.

When I resurfaced, I couldn't announce my excitement. I was too busy drinking in air as though I were dying of dehydration. My head pounded and my airways still felt starved for oxygen as I swam over to Peter. I rested my elbows against the edge of the pool, breathless.

"Sixteen," Peter's voice, wracked with worry, washed over me. I looked up at him, a weak smile coming across my face.

"I got it." The ball rolled towards him. He disregarded it and walked to the edge of the pool, not even hesitating to offer his hand. After one last greedy inhale, I grabbed it, and he pulled me out of the water.