Sometime In Between

Start from the beginning

"Hindi ako makatulog eh," Leni replied, tapping the empty space beside her on the couch.

"Dapat nagpapahinga ka. Maaga pa tayo aalis bukas," Risa whispered again and sat down.

"I'll be fine naman. Ikaw, bakit ka gising?"

"Kukuha sana ako tubig pero nakita ko gising ka."

"Risa," Leni called out.

"Oh?"

"Bakit ka bumubulong?"

Risa laughed loudly and realized that there were other people sleeping and they might hear her. "Sorry," she said in between her laughter. "Pangarap ko kasi maging bubuyog."

Leni smacked her arm lightly, laughing along with her. "Pwede naman magsalita dito."

"Baka magising sila eh."

"Magsasalita ka lang naman, hindi ka naman sisigaw."

Risa gazed at the paper in Leni's hands. "Is this your speech for tomorrow?" She asked, voice in regular speaking volume now.

Leni nodded and handed it to her. Risa read through Leni's speech and the older woman laughed at how her eyebrows would raise in amazement, and when she'd whisper "oohh's" every time she'd find a good line.

"Well?" Leni asked.

"Anong well?"

"Ano sa tingin mo?"

"Sa tingin ko, kailangan ko ng kape."

Leni gave her a confused look and she shrugged, standing up to make herself a cup of coffee. "You want one?" Risa asked and Leni agreed.

A little while later, Risa returned to her seat and handed Leni one of the cups. "Okay, my thoughts," the younger woman began. "Maganda 'yung anggulo ng speech mo. It's about what we started — hope, volunteerism, all that. It doesn't exactly talk about us winning in terms of elections, but winning in terms of starting something better for the country or fighting the good fight."

Leni sipped her coffee, listening carefully to Risa. "That said, however," she continued. "Sa tingin ko, kailangan mo munang magpahinga. Mangangampanya na naman mamaya, you should take advantage of your free time now."

"Hindi ako makatulog, tinatamad ako mag-wordscapes. What do you suggest I do?"

"Okay, alam ko na," Risa shifted, propping her legs on the couch, and faced Leni. "Nakwento ko na ba sa'yo 'yung time na naligaw ako backstage sa isang rally?"

"Huh?" Leni copied her, placing her arm on the backrest of the couch and resting her head there as she listened.

"Kasi ang daming nagpapicture sa'kin so I tried to take a picture with all of them, hanggang sa kung saan na ako napadpad as in! I didn't know where I was tapos nahiwalay ako sa staff edi nagkanda-ligaw ligaw na ako."

The older woman laughed, the image of Risa running around backstage like a lost kid forever etched in her mind. "Para kang kiti-kiti ang likot mo!"

"Hey!" Risa pouted. "I was being nice to them kaya. Saka it wasn't my intention to get lost."

"Oo na, what happened then?"

"Sa exit ako nag-enter."

Leni sputtered, realizing that it wasn't the perfect timing for her to take a sip of her coffee. "Risa, ano ka ba naman," she said in between her giggles.

"Ah, may isa pa..." Risa went on, telling Leni the fun instances she had on the campaign. Most of her stories involved her just getting lost everywhere and her staff having a hard time looking for her.

"Oh my god, I remember no'ng na-sprain ka dati!" Leni teased.

"Hoy, nakakahiya," Risa blushed, hiding her face in her arms.

"Ano sabi mo no'n? Nobody, nobody but Mar ka pa dyan."

"Leniii," she whined.

"Kaunting araw na lang natitira sa campaign, 'wag ka sanang ma-sprain ulit ha?"

The two women laughed and continued exchanging anecdotes about their lives. Some of them were reminisced memories of their experiences either together or apart, others were about their lives during the years they were apart. They didn't know how much time passed, how deep in the night it already was, but they were happy.

In fact, it was the most they've ever been happy since all this started. Nothing big happened, no abrupt kisses or heartbreaking hugs, no talk of their relationship or what they should do about their issues, no sadness or grief, no anger or confusion.

It was just them.

In that small moment, it was just them, telling each other their life stories, making each other laugh, listening and talking, uncaring of the time nor the place they were in.

At some point that evening, their laughter died down, cups became empty, and comfortable silence enveloped them. It was quiet, serene, and peaceful.

It was everything they ever wanted.

Of course it still was not exactly everything. But for now, it was more than what they could ask for.

Maybe it was already morning, maybe it was still evening, they didn't know. But sometime between the sun rising and the moon setting, in between serene mornings and peaceful evenings, a sliver of hope appeared.

Was it hope for the campaign? Or was it hope for the two of them?

It didn't matter. They were here — in this small, simple moment, and nothing else mattered.