Bigger Fights

6 days after Leni's announcement of her presidential bid, she finally completed her senatorial slate.

Two days before she was set to announce it, Kiko invited everyone for a night out. "Kailangan natin mag-unwind at mag-celebrate. We have many busy months ahead of us." Everyone easily agreed. Risa was shocked that even Leni didn't say no to such an impromptu idea.

So here they were, at some resto-bar around QC, drinking a few drinks and taking turns on the karaoke after having eaten dinner.

Risa was too shy to sit beside Leni, so she sat across from her instead. They haven't talked much since the phone call aside from hello's and how-are-you's. They would smile at each other whenever their eyes met, but even then, it was all for the sake of courtesy and civility.

She is a senator running under the vice president's slate after all.

But every now and then, she was reminded of the friendship they lost and how badly she wanted that platonic intimacy back.

"Uy, Lens! Ris!" Kiko called their attention from the farther side of the table. The two women turned their attention to him. "May Ace of Spades na drink dito! Parang 'yung ininom natin sa Hong Kong."

Risa choked on her water while Leni coughed on her handkerchief. They exchanged a knowing look. "Ace of Clubs 'yun." Leni said in between her coughs.

"Ah, clubs ba," Kiko laughed. He then motioned for a waiter. "Ace of Spades po para sa lahat."

"Huy, Kiko!" Risa scolded, "Akala ko ba light drinks lang?"

"Malay mo naman light lang pala 'to. Try lang natin. Oh, isang baso lang kapag matapang at may trabaho pa tayo ha."

Everyone laughed and waited for the newly-discovered drink to be served. Leni stared at Risa, her eyes dancing with mirth. "May gano'n rin pala 'no?" She said, popping a few peanuts in her mouth.

"Oo nga eh," Risa laughed nervously, circling her glass with her fingertips as she stared back at the other woman. Not too long later, a waiter handed Risa her drink and then Leni's.

"Sen. Risa, sabi ni Sen. Kiko, tig-iisang baso lang daw ha. We don't want to have to drag you home if you can't carry your drinks," Leni jokingly said.

Risa glared at her playfully, feeling the tension between them subside because of the light conversation topic. "Ako pa ang can't carry my drinks, VP?"

"Oo, bakit? Nagdidisagree ka ba?"

"Parehas lang tayo 'no." She remarked, suddenly feeling conscious with the way the older woman was staring her down as if she was challenging her.

Leni cleared her throat and took a sip of her drink, humming at the foreign taste. "Mas matamis ata 'to kaysa sa clubs that we drank in HK. What do you think?"

Risa nodded as she tasted the liquid on her tongue. "Hmm, oo. Parang mas fruity."

They focused back on Sonny who was about to take his turn on the karaoke. Cheers, claps, and laughter filled the air as he sang a classic love song. It was then that Risa heard Leni say her name again, clear of the honorifics she just earlier used. "Risa..."

She looked at her with interest, awaiting what she would say next.

"Can we talk?"

There it was.

And as it was said, it came with the feeling of both dread and excitement. What was it that Leni wanted to talk about? Risa's heart hammered in her chest as she nodded. "Oo naman."