Now and Always

"I want you on my slate, Risa."

The Vice President declared. No greetings, no hello's, just straightforwardly stating what she wanted right off the bat, no fucks given. Her tone was soft, as it always was, but also so firm that it sent shivers down Risa's spine.

"W-what?" Risa stood up, taken aback by the sudden call and by Risa.

They haven't talked in a long time and the first thing Leni spoke to her may have been about work, but still it sounded so personal and so intimate. So...us.

She called her Risa. Not Sen. Risa as she'd done since after that fateful day. Just Risa. It's been a long time since you said my name.

"Sabi niyo gusto niyo akong kumandidato, hindi ba? Gagawin ko sa isang kundisyon." Leni, on the other hand, remained calm as she talked to her former lover. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest and her fingers were shaking but even when she was alone, she felt like she had to cover it up.

She cannot slip up. She cannot make mistakes. She had been trying her hardest to put the past where it should be and to leave things at that. Yet here she was, calling Risa, because she wanted her to be by her side so they could win this again.

Leni knew she wanted Risa to campaign with her. Just like before, just like almost six years ago.

"Anong kundisyon?"

"Tatakbo ka under ng slate ko. Kasama kita sa laban, o hindi ako lalaban at all. I can't do this alone, alam mo 'yan. Ni hindi ko na nga gustong lumaban ngayon. Kahit sila Aika, ayaw na nilang tumakbo ako."

Risa wanted to ask why. She wanted to ask how she was doing, why her kids didn't want her running again, why she, on her own, didn't want to fight again. She already knew why, but she needed to hear it. She wanted Leni to talk to her about it so at least, in that way, she'll feel like they're friends again.

Or not friends. Maybe just that they're okay again, or will be okay again for that matter.

"I need to know you'll be with me in this fight. Kahit ayun na lang. Whether as my VP, or as a senator, I don't care. As long as you're on my slate."

Leni hoped Risa wouldn't take offense with what she just said. She hoped Risa wouldn't see it as her asking for another chance to be together again because that's not what this was about. This was about their duty to their country — one of the many reasons why they didn't pursue their relationship.

A huge part of her hoped that Risa wouldn't see what she was asking in a negative way because nights ago, she imagined campaigning with her senatorial slate as a presidential candidate, and she just can't see it without Risa.

Swallowing her pride, she set it upon herself to call her. I need to know she'll be with me in this fight. I need her by my side.

Risa's heart raced faster. Leni wasn't asking for much. Hell, she wasn't even asking for anything at all because even without her personal invite, Risa would opt to run under her wing.

That said, this was different. Hearing Leni's voice again after so long, addressing her so casually, and even asking her to stand by her side for the next campaign, the same way that she did in 2016, was different.

When she didn't reply, Leni's hoarse but firm voice said, "Seryoso ako. I want you on my slate, Risa."

Having it repeated in the same tone made it apparent to Risa that Leni didn't need her to run under her slate. She didn't need her to stand by her side because she has a lot of allies to do that. There's Kiko, Bam, Teddy, hell even Leila would stand by her side. She didn't need Risa to be there.

But she wanted her to.

Risa could tell her that she needed her, like she's done before, as a companion, as a confidant, as a friend while going through it all. But no. Leni told her she wanted her to be there. Leni's asking not because she needed to, but because she wanted to. 

And that was simply enough, no other stunts needed to be pulled. Leni has done so much for her. This was nothing compared to that.

"Okay," she exhaled, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Hindi mo naman na ako kailangang tanungin kasi alam mo naman 'yung sagot ko. I'll run as a senator under your slate. It would be an honor."

A sigh of relief followed by silence met her. Risa said her name out of nowhere, surprising them both. "Leni..."

It sounded so foreign in her mouth. Like she's never said it before even when she has so many times before. Sometimes in the midst of all the noise, sometimes as the only sound in the stillness of somewhere. Two times during the throes of pleasure, and now. Where everything has become so loud, so boisterous, but since hearing her voice again has become so quiet.

It sounded so foreign in Leni's ears too. When was the last time Risa called her that without the VP part? It seemed like such a distant memory. Like it was so long ago even when it has only been more or less three years. She closed her eyes, shaking away the familiarity building up in her chest.

"Leni..." Risa called out again, when the other still had not responded, nostalgic at the familiar movement of her lips as she said it. "You have me, now and always. Alam mo 'yun diba?"

"Now and always..." Leni's tone changed. It was softer, calmer, but more cautious. As if she's afraid of saying the wrong thing. But despite that, it sparked hope inside Risa. Maybe, just maybe, and she hopes that this doesn't remain as a maybe, she'd be able to patch things up with her and regain their friendship.

Risa's breath hitched as she waited for Leni's next words. She heard her shift and clear her throat through the phone.

"Pag-usapan na lang natin 'yung ibang detalye sa mga susunod na araw. I'll have the team contact you." Leni was back to her soft yet firm tone again as her thoughts drifted back to the work to be done.

"Thank you, VP. I look forward to it."

"Thank you rin, Sen. See you soon."

Though they couldn't see each other, they knew both of them were smiling as they bid their thanks. They knew each other well enough to know how their voices sounded while they were trying to suppress the smile forming on their lips.

They were in this together, just like before. They will be in this together, just as they had promised. Now and always.

"Good night, Leni."

"Good night, Risa."