Sometime In Between

"We broke up," Risa told her after the Labor Day event. Leni didn't ask why though. She didn't need to know.

They didn't talk about Leni's grand gesture either. Whatever it meant to both of them, whether they had differing interpretations of it, didn't matter. That grand gesture was enough to reassure them both that they're still here. They're still with each other in this fight. And that they'll be okay.

Now and always.

They were back in Iloilo today, solidifying their hold on the province a few days before May 9. With careful movements and calculated stares, Leni watched Lucas and Risa interact. They looked like they ended on good terms. He was in Risa's motorcade and he cheered for her as they paraded along the streets.

Leni was happy that their breakup was devoid of drama. After seeing Risa's panic attack, she feared it would happen again, or maybe worsen, if she and Lucas ended their relationship badly. She also feared she'd lose Risa for good if that happened.

The post-rally dinner was an event in itself. Her campaign team acknowledged Iloilo as one of their biggest bailiwicks, hence, a celebration took place. Leni was seated beside Risa as the program went on and she felt her head spin from tiredness.

"Okay ka lang ba?" Risa asked as she heard Leni wince.

"Ay, yes, okay lang. Pagod lang," Leni smiled kindly.

The senator nodded in reply and handed her a bottle of water. "Here. Masakit ba ulo mo? Hihingi na ba kita ng gamot sa staff mo?"

"Risa," Leni laughed. "Okay lang ako. Malapit naman na matapos 'to. Salamat."

"I'm just worried."

"Alam ko. Thank you."

The pair exchanged a smile and returned their attention to the program. Not long later, the event ended and their staff signaled that their transportation was waiting outside. As Leni stood up, Risa instinctively assisted her. Leni flashed a grateful smile.

Attendees clamored over to Leni wanting to snap a picture with her. She tried to accommodate all of them the best that she could but there were a lot of people and she was too tired. The VPSG surrounded her but they never pushed people away because they were instructed by the Vice President herself to never do such.

Risa gave her a questioning look and she replied with a restrained smile. Taking it upon herself, Risa guarded Leni, serving as the separation between her and anyone who got too close.

"Thank you," Leni whispered.

"You're welcome," Risa replied.

—---------------------

They weren't staying at a hotel tonight. Instead, they were in one of those transient houses because there weren't as many people staying tonight than usual. Half of the campaign team stayed with them, half were already in the location they were expected to be in the next day.

Time was of essence for the pink campaign. Only a few days remained and they had no time to waste.

Leni's tiredness crept up on her earlier during dinner but there she was, wide awake in bed because sleep decided it wouldn't visit her tonight. She got out of bed and walked to the shared living room, her speech for later and a pen in hand. Leni settled on the couch and read through the paper, making revisions every now and then.

"Oh, akala ko pagod ka? Why are you still up?"

She looked up to Risa's whisper and she saw her still in sleeping clothes, hair tousled and attempting to stifle her yawn.