• Date Night •

Kozik & Emma

Applying the last coat of mascara, Emma stood straight in the mirror, taking in her outfit for the night. The red spaghetti strap dress clung to her, the asymmetrical hem crisscrosses over her legs, showing off more of her left leg than her right. Her silver sling-back high heels shine against the light.

Quickly, she grabbed her phone and a purse that matched her shoes. She rushed out the door, heading to the restaurant her boyfriend booked a reservation at over a week ago for their date tonight.

At first, Emma was hesitant to agree to this restaurant, knowing how expensive it was, but Herman insisted. The last few date nights, he cancelled because the club needed him. So he wanted to take Emma out somewhere extra special since it had been months since they'd been out.

Pulling up to the restaurant, she does a lap of the parking lot to see if she can find Herman's bike. When she couldn't, she parked near the entrance, where two empty spots sat side by side. Hopefully, Herman gets there before someone else does.

Emma entered the restaurant, walking up to the hostess. She felt awkward checking in without Herman, but she could use a drink and an appetizer.

"Good evening, ma'am. How may I help you?" She smiled politely.

"Hello, my boyfriend made a reservation under the name Herman Kozik." She nodded, looking at her tablet.

"Right this way." The hostess gestures to the double doors which lead to the dining area. Emma follows her, taking in the beautiful design of the restaurant. The hostess stops at Emma's table. "Your waitress will be right with you."

"Thank you."

The waitress appears from nowhere, taking Emma's drink order and entree.

꧁꧂

Emma tapped her fingers nervously as she subtly looked around the restaurant, hoping to see Herman but after thirty minutes of no luck. To add insult to injury, the waitress has been around three times, each time with a bit more pity in her eyes.

Emma checks her phone for the billionth time, seeing her texts to Herman are unread. Worry churns in her stomach. She restrained herself from calling anyone from the club. If anything was wrong with Herman, she'd already know. He's in church or gun-running. Whatever the hell those boys are up to this week.

꧁꧂

As the clock hits the hour mark, Emma's anxiety-ridden brain can't take it anymore. She flags the waitress as nicely as she can, paying before rushing out the door to her car.

As she drives, she debates whether to go home or to the clubhouse. In the end, home wins out. If he's not there, she can at least get changed into something else before heading out to look for him.

As she turns onto her street, she squints to look up the road at their house, looking for his motorcycle or car. Her heart soars as she sees them. Motorcycles. The club is there. And so is Herman's. He's here. While Emma was worried sick about him at the restaurant, calling his phone and the house phone. He was here. The whole time Herman was at home.

"That fucking bastard. I'll kill him. I'll fucking kill him." She slams her door shut, walking up to the front door.

As she steps in, the sound of yelling reaches her ears. Standing at the entrance to the living room, she watched her boyfriend and his friends yell at the tv about what appeared to be a boxing tournament.