Graduation

(Inside a home with prominent candles lit and greenery. Hanji sat on a desk in the center of the room, working on something with a soldering iron)

Hanji: Okay...

(Hanji continues assembling her work, and tests its mechanics with a screwdriver. She then addresses her recorder wearing her work without its outer shell)

This time, rather than you hearing the schematics I thought I'd let you hear real thing: Project Magnes. The conductive transfer of unequal mass and high-tensile fibre. Or, as one of you call it, a rope.

(She aims her work at a cluster of scrap paper blueprints stuck to her wall)

Test 1.0...

(Hanji tries to fire, but the firing mechanism weakly spins with no result. She looks dejected, and turns off the recorder. Another day she is practicing her strength by working out, before continuing to work on the device on her desk. She replaces one of the reel mechanisms, before going back to her recorder)

Test 4.0...

(She fires once again fails to fire its projectile)

Technically this part... is supposed to go much further. Technically...

(She's in her bed, the door opens and you enter)

Y/n: Hi mom!

Hanji: *Audibly tired* Hi...

Y/n: How are you?

Hanji: Um, I'm fine, I'm fine. And you?

Y/n: Yeah, I'm really good, thanks.

(Hanji searches through her plant bed, before making another recording)

Hanji: Conductive transfer, test 17.

(Hanji continues to examine her plants while soaked from a sprinkler, harvests a set of leaves from a plant, and returns to conversing with you in bed)

Y/n: I've got a new riddle for you mom.

Hanji: Ah, go for it.

Y/n: Alright, so you have 50 freighters. Each freighter has enough fuel to travel 100 parsecs...

(Hanji continues to refine her schematics)

...using all 50 freighters, what is the maximum distance you can travel?

Hanji: What class are the freighters?

Y/n: Mom, it doesn't matter, I don't know!

Hanji: It might matter...

(The work again fails to fire)

350 parsecs.

Y/n: *Whispering and smiling* Correct!

Hanji: Fly them 50 parsecs, drain half the fuel...

Y/n: ...into the other half, fly, rinse and repeat, I know.

Hanji: Honestly, honey, nothing...

Y/n: Nothing in the current fleet would ever fly that far. I know.

(Hanji continues working at her desk, nervously listening to a news broadcast echo thorughout the room)

Broadcaster: A harrowing report from the Outer Colonies this evening: Titans have slaughtered 30 villages. Stay with us for continuing updates.

Hanji: Test 63.

(Hanji continues working out)

Test 70.