White Snow and Walls of Stone:

The sun came crashing in too early.

I was lying in bed with my arms wrapped around Legolas. He had slept with his face buried in my neck. I stroked his hair, this was departure day, the day when I could say goodbye to all I held dear.

I had written letters to be sent to Mirkwood with parting wishes and farewells. Legolas and I both signed it. Lord Elrond would have it sent as soon as we left.

I looked down at my sleeping husband. He looked so peaceful. I wished we could just stay here forever. I knew I had two people to protect. Frodo, and Legolas. I was determined to keep my husband safe at all costs. I knew we would take care of each other, we always did.

I felt Legolas's lips on my skin. "Gracie."

"Good morning. It's today." I combed my finger's through his hair. He stretched and smiled. "Everything's going to be alright. I promise."

We pulled ourselves out of bed and into our clothing. Legolas had his gray leggings and his lighter gray shirt. He clipped the front of his tunic together. The green one I loved so much. Legolas added his bracers, quiver and bow harness on. He slipped his knives into their slots and braided his hair. I stuck to my usual leggings and tunics combination. Legolas braided my hair in a loose fishtail-like braid and we were set. I folded a few extra articles of clothing as small as I could and put them in the pocket of my backpack. I added a few more for Legolas, a whetstone for our blades, two water skins, some leather strings and ties for our hair, my leather notebook and pencil, and my pocket knife. Legolas eyed it and then smiled. He knew how precious it was to me. Last but not least, the picture of my family. 

Legolas held up two delicate chains. "I thought perhaps we should put our rings on these so we do not lose them."

 I really did not want to lose my wedding ring. It was the most beautiful thing I owned. It was a band of carved gold vines with an emerald in it. Emeralds are my favourite stones. I slipped the ring onto the chain and Legolas clipped it for me. I did the same to him. He grabbed my hand. "Alright then. We're ready."

 I nodded and kissed him before we joined the others for breakfast.

Our morning meal was eaten in heavy silence. Aragorn especially looked depressed. I then noticed that Arwen was nowhere to be seen. I hoped they didn't have a falling out.

She was there when we said goodbye, though she didn't hug or come near Aragorn.

"The ring bearer is setting out on a quest for mount doom. You who travel with him no oath or bond is laid to go farther than you will. Farewell, hold to your purpose and may the blessing of the elves, the men, and free folk of middle earth, go with you." Elrond said.

Legolas and I nodded to him.

"The fellowship awaits the ringbearer," Gandalf said. We stepped aside to allow Frodo in front with Gandalf followed after. Legolas and I followed after Merry and Pippin, Boromir after us and Sam came with Aragorn and the pony.

Frodo said something to Gandalf and then we started to the left. We walked along through the forest. Boromir caught up with Legolas and me. He seemed to be ignoring us though.
~×~×~×~×~×~×~×~

"Move your feet!" Aragorn chuckled as he smoked his pipe. We were resting on a rocky formation. Sam and Frodo sat by the fire cooking our meal and Legolas was scouting. I saw what looked like a dark cloud coming toward us.

"If I didn't know better, I would say we are taking a long way around," Gimli said. Legolas now saw what I did. Merry and Pippin were tackling Boromir to the ground which had me giggling slightly. Aragorn tried to pull them off but they tossed him backward.