Chapter 14: Conspiracy

Liana's at the Daily Planet trying to write an article when a phone randomly beeps

Liana's at the Daily Planet trying to write an article when a phone randomly beeps. Liana hears a beeping noise coming for her desk and she opens it to find a phone that's not hers and it says, "The Wall." Liana hears Clark say, "Liana." Liana quickly puts the phone away and Clark continues to say, "What are you up to?" Liana looks at Clark and she says, "Oh, you know, just juggling deadlines. What about you? Huh. You look like you have a few pins in the air yourself." Clark says, "Just making sure I don't drop any assignments." Liana stands up and says, "You know, since we started our relationship back up we never really... see each other. I know we're both pretty busy, but maybe should... stop and smell the roses." Clark slowly inches closer to Liana and says, "Well, I know where we can find some. Across the street, a romantic café." Liana softly smiles and says, "I see a table for two in our future." Then a voice says, "Clark." Liana and Clark both look to see a woman, who Clark knows as Faora. Liana says, "Who's she?" Clark looks at Liana and says, "That's Zod's wife, Faora. She needs my help." Liana makes an oh face and says, "Oh. I guess we can do a rain check on that date." Clark nods and says, "Yeah. Thanks. I'm sorry." Liana softly says, "It's fine." Liana watches Clark walk away and she goes back to that phone and she texts, "Who is this?" Liana gets an immediate text, and it says, "Someone who needs your expertise." Liana's confused and puts the phone in her pocket for safe keeping. Later, Liana goes to a café, and she looks at a waitress and says, "Pinot noir. For one." Liana looks around at the happy couples and she sighs. Liana holds up a newspaper and she hears someone say, "Miss Lane. I'm Dr. Bernard Chisholm. Forgive me for being so forward but I have a news story that I think you should hear." Liana's curious and says, "Okay, I'm listening." Dr. Bernard says, "Aliens are living among us." Liana slightly widens her eyes, and she says, "Okay. Tell you what, the next time you want to get a hot tip to a reporter just... try an envelope and a 44-cent stamp. Okay?" As Liana gets up to leave, Dr. Bernard stands up also and says, "I did. Dozens of times, in fact." Liana says, "Well, considering your story's alien angel those letters probably never made it off the wacko pile." As Liana walks away, Dr. Bernard says, "I can prove my claims. I've captured some of them. They're under lock and key at a safe location outside of the city. Come with me. Miss Lane, I'll show you. Help me spread the word. Together we'll defend the human race." Liana says, "You're very convincing. I just need to call my editor... and let him know that I'm following a hot lead." As Liana goes to text Clark, there's no signal and she says, "Damn cell phone. Never a signal when you need one. Just... I'm gonna try out there. Just, just stay here. Okay? Don't go anywhere." As Liana walks outside, she goes to call Clark, but he's not answering, so as the voicemail pops up, she hears a gun cock she hangs up the phone and Dr. Bernard says, "I'd hope you'd enlist to fight our war, but I guess you'll have to be drafted." Later, Dr. Bernard takes Liana to his home base and she's sitting at a computer with her wrists chained to the desk and he says, "This blood confirms my suspicions. These things... are alien. Now, I've kept copious notes about my findings. If I try to share them, they'll be dismissed. If they come from a legitimate news source the public will listen. And that's where you come in." Liana says, "Listen, if I write your expose no one will believe you." Dr. Bernard says, "They will when they receive the body parts I've harvested. I'm sending samples to medical experts all over the world. When they see the proof, they'll come." Dr. Bernard moves the sheet and Liana widens her eyes. Dr. Bernard continues to say, "Cryogenically preserved specimen waiting for them." Liana says, "Okay, you need to get that girl out of that Ziplock and turn off the deep freeze now." Dr. Bernard says, "You're not appreciating the magnitude of my discovery Miss Lane. It's an alien! Look what they did to me." Dr. Bernard lifts his hat off and Liana sees that his brain was cut open and stitched together and she says, "Oh, my God." Dr. Bernard says, "The last thing that I remember I died of a heart attack. But they brought me back to life. They... implanted... these... into my brain." Liana gets a little sick because the green things he is holding are Kryptonite. Liana says, "Wait. You're doing this to her because she saved your life? You should be thanking her not turning her into a popsicle!" Dr. Bernard angrily says, "That thing didn't save me! When I died... I was at peace. But then, whatever they did... it's like I can't shut off my brain. You know, it... I can't stop thinking. And I have thoughts that a person should never have. The invasion has begun, Miss Lane and it's our job to save mankind." Later, Liana's writing the story and she hears a noise and says, "Look, if you're trying to freak me out you've already won the scream award. There's no need for an encore!" Then a hand covers her mouth, and a familiar voice says, "Shh. Shh." Liana turns to see Zod, and she says, "Zod. What are you doing here?" As Zod takes out a key to unchain Liana, he says, "I was looking for some friends of mine and happened to see you here trapped. Where are the others?" Liana says, "There's only one person left alive. She's over there." Zod walks over to the machine and since Liana's still in the cuffs, she freezes them and breaks them to get freed. Then Dr. Bernard appears, and she says, "Chisholm!" Then he shoots Zod, and he falls to his knees and lays down the ground. Dr. Bernard then points his gun at Liana, and he says, "Stop wasting time! You have a deadline to meet." Liana's wondering why Zod's not healing, so after Dr. Bernard walks away, Liana goes over to Zod to stop the bleeding by freezing his wound. Zod looks at Liana an awe and he says, "Thank you." Liana says, "I may not like you, but you don't deserve to die." Zod says, "Chisholm will be back." Liana softly says, "Don't worry. Someone's gonna find us." Zod says, "What if no one comes? I need you to help that girl. And you need to get out of here. You save yourself. Go!" Later, Liana's in a hiding spot and Chisholm comes back and he says, "Where'd she go?" Liana appears and kicks him in the face and then she kicks him into a machine, so goes over where the girl is and freezes the machine to break it open, but then Chisholm appears and hits her in the head, and she gets knocked out.