CHAPTER 41

HOW COULD I possibly screw everything up? What's the deal? They say that if you love someone, you should go for it. They may turn you down, but at least you tried. There are no regrets. And, on rare occasions, they may be able to accept and return your feelings. Everything is up to fate. Fate. Is fate finally punishing me for my selfishness? What's the harm in freely loving someone? Why is it wrong for me to go where my heart desires? Was I mistaken all along?

"Hugh, you're my only hope right now; where is he?" I nearly pleaded. So depressed and hurt. I never imagined that one day I'd end up crushing the fierceness and bravery in which I take pride in.

"I don't know, Loraine." I gritted my teeth on his uncharacteristically icy tone. Why are they doing this to me? Why the hell won't anybody tell me where my boyfriend is?

I bit my lips, suppressing a sob. But in the end, I still let it out. Even though, I don't want any more people to witness my breakdown, it's just too heavy for me. I tend to worry about more things than any of my friends have. All just because I know what should've and shouldn't have happened in their lives. There's not a day that I think of the possibility of what their lives might have been if I haven't interfered. I carry that everyday and I'm just able to soothe myself with a stupid delusion that fate will always be at my hands... at my side. Was fate really on my side?

"Loraine?" Hugh's voice was laced with concern. He's still the usual worrier.

After a few seconds I breathed slowly and calmly before I closed my eyes. "Please tell me where he is." I whispered weakly. He sighed audibly.

"Loraine, listen. You need more time. And I also think it's not good for you too see him right now." He sounded hesitant. My heart starts racing worriedly.

"Why? Did something happen to him?" I cautiously asked with a hint of concern.

"It's not like that. He's fine... I think." I heard him sigh once again.

"Are you with him now?"

"Nah, I just got home." He hesitantly said. My eyes went to slits.

"Where were you? Who's with Lucas right now?" I asked with interrogative tone.

"I honestly don't think you have the right to ask that, Loraine. Don't be mad at me but you..." He trailed off. So Lucas already knows...

"I didn't cheat on him, Hugh." I told him.

"I saw the photos, Loraine. Lucas kinda told me about the other guy as well. I know I don't have a right to meddle in your relationship but I don't like seeing my friends hurting."

Photos? He's willing to cast me out of his life just because of those stupid pictures? He wants to throw the two years we spent without even hearing my explanation? I know he's hurt, but.. how about me? I'm hurting just the same. And it's not like I like ending up this way.

"Neither do I, Hugh! I-I didn't cheat on him." My voice croaked. I let another couple of sobs and tears. I tried to hold back so much that my throat hurts. "Mahal ko si Lucas, Hugh. I was framed and l almost got raped by a stranger. Alam kong kasalanan ko. Pero gusto kong ipaliwanag sa kanya lahat. Hindi ko siya niloko. Hindi ko maggagawa 'yun sa kanya kaya pakiusap lang." I clutched my car's maneuver so tight and put my forehead on it. Umiyak ako ng walang ginagawang tunog. Sinusubukan kong pigilan ng tuluyan ang pag-iyak pero hindi ko kaya. Hindi ko maipaliwanag ang sakit na nararamdaman ko ngayon. "Kahit na  mahirap... Kahit na masyadong komplikado... Kahit na sobrang nakakatakot siyang mahalin.. Mahal ko pa rin si Lucas, Hugh.