𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕.

Start from the beginning

    I liked that he enjoyed that feat. That he had something he liked about workin' at Finnegan's. "Yeah, but if you move inside you could be the fastest stocker."

    That got Dom to grin. One thing I noticed about the kid, was that if he put his mind to something, he wanted to be the best at it. Despite his shortcomings, Dominique was a good kid and a hard worker, and I was sure if he kept busy with his job he'd be on the fast track.

    "So, what's up with you and your girl, man?" Dominique asked a minute later.

    "My girl?" I questioned.

    He smirked as he tapped away on his phone. "Yeah, I can tell you talkin' to someone. You not walkin' around as pissed-off as you used to. Like someone finally took that stick outta yo' ass."

    Annoyance took over me as I deadpanned and faced the little shit.

    Dominique laughed blatantly and shrugged. "I'm just sayin', Keith."

    I made a face and shook away his ignorance. "I woke my ass up, that's what changed. I realized who and what I had left in my life." I glanced his way. "I couldn't fall back and let you down, my uncle, or my mom and Betty. I looked in the mirror and kicked my own ass."

    "Word?" Dom asked.

    "Word," I responded. "I mean, there is someone new in my life, but I can't base my joy on her, no matter how much I like her." I looked him in the eye as I spoke. "You can't be too caught up in these girls, man. It's important to be able to stand on your own two feet and be stable."

    "I hear you," Dominique said with a bob of his head. He gave me a lopsided frown. "It would kinda suck if you dropped off the grid again."

    I wouldn't.

    Holding my hand out between the driver and passenger seat, I swore an oath. "I'ma be around. I promise. Okay?"

    Dominique slapped his hand against mine and we shook on it.

    I was about to ask him about college or a trade school when I spotted a group of individuals approaching the basketball court. I sat up and eyed the group, noticing at once they were holdin'.

    "No matter what goes down, stay. In. The. Truck," I instructed sternly.

    Dominique sank in his seat beside me, nodding his head. "I will."

    I sent a Savon a quick text before grabbing the envelope and climbing out of my Tahoe.

    Pulling the brim of my baseball cap down low, I made my way over to the bleachers where Dom's people were crowdin'.

    They spotted me just as I stepped foot on the court. A shirtless, tattooed heavy set man wearing a durag turned his back on me, exposin' the Beretta tucked into his waistband.

    My piece was at home. An attempt to show Dominique you could move without it.

    Some teenagers were shooting hoops on the court, girls and boys were playing jump rope on the sidewalks, and parents were pushing littler kids on the swing set. We were surrounded by witnesses, but some people just straight didn't give a fuck.

    Didn't care, though. I wasn't letting this situation go on further for Dominique.

    I lifted my chin at a tall skinny guy who was hanging back, staring at me. "I'm here for Dominique."

    The heavy set one stepped closer. "Ain't no Dom around here. You see 'im?"

    I held my envelope with a firm grip. "Whatever he owes you is all in here."