Chapter 1: Surprise!

No one ever plans to get arrested at a nightclub after getting drunk and mistaking two EMTS for strippers—it just sort of happens

Rowena Flores hadn't planned on going out that evening. No, she wanted to do the same thing she'd done over the past two weeks since Cross Howler, the man who claimed to be her soulmate, ghosted her. True, Cross never confirmed their plans for a first date, but Rowena was positive he committed the cardinal sin of leading her on. Her friend, Gina, and Gina's criminal boyfriend, Little Mikey, assured her she was right. Little Mikey was even kind enough to offer up a few of his guys to "rough the jerk up" in retaliation. Rowena declined. If anyone was going to make Cross feel physical pain, it was going to be her.

Besides, Cross Howler wasn't an ordinary man. On top of being rich, handsome, and the mayor of Howler, he was also a wolf-shifter and the alpha of his pack. Yes, he was a wolf-shifter. A wolf-shifter who stopped responding to her text messages and phone calls. He went from stalker to stranger and Rowena was still processing how she felt about that.

She shouldn't have been surprised by his change in behavior. She met Cross after he kidnapped her and accused her of murder. It wasn't exactly the type of story one could tell their grandchildren without them thinking you were either a masochist or a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.

Her kidnapping happened after Reed, Rowena's ex-boyfriend, cheated on her. Rowena, in a moment of justified anger, cursed his hair to fall out and his house to burn down. To everyone's surprise, his house did burn down. Unfortunately, his other woman was inside the house during the fire. It was then that Rowena learned Cross Howler was an alpha wolf-shifter. She also discovered she may be something called a Hexing Witch. It was a shame she couldn't Wikipedia what that entailed because she had no one to turn to for answers when it came to her possible new powers.

"Will you stop looking at your phone?" Lorena, her cousin and a well-known culandera in their town of Clarkton, demanded. She was sipping on some blue drink with a little umbrella sticking out of it. "He's not going to call you."

Gina, Rowena's friend and co-worker at Sweeter Homes, shook her head as a green neon light flashed across her face. The nightclub, Chazzie's, was dark except for the strobe lights, the backwall of the bar, and the random neon lights scattered across the club. Techno music played as people crowded around the DJ on the bottom floor of the club.

"Will you leave Rowena alone? If she wants to be miserable moping over some guy who was too good-looking for his own good, that's her choice," Gina said, popping a pretzel into her mouth. "It happens in all the books we read. Sooner or later, our protagonist will get her guy."

Lorena rolled her eyes and pointed a manicured finger between Gina and Rowena. "That's your problem. You two have your book club and you keep reading all those romance stories. Now, you have no sense of reality. Men will never live up to those romance books. Never. Life is not a fairytale, ladies!"