Since it was our first time here, we decided to go back in a few days and check the books more properly before we buy any.

Finally, we walked back to down to the first floor and started the feat of choosing which snack to buy. Glazed or filled doughnuts? What about those red velvet cakes?

'I'll take filled doughnuts. Four please.' Amy said.

'Okay, I'll take the red velvet. A box of six to takeaway.' I said.

The pretty girl behind the counter went to work packing the snacks for us. A sound came from the door and we looked simultaneously towards it. A little girl that couldn't have been more than two years old, dressed in a blue mini sun dress and loafers toddled in. She looked too adorable I couldn't stop myself from smiling and waving at her a little.

And then a much larger foot stepped in beside her. Clean freak like me immediately noticed this foot's clean, clipped nails. The other foot stepped in and my eyes traced up from both feet to eyes.

Our gazes locked.

One, two, three seconds and I forced myself to look away. The man that had just come in, lowered his eyes to the baby toddling in front of him.
I turned my attention back to pretty girl behind the counter and we pay for the snacks. We took the boxes from her and turned to walk out.

Something, something magnetic gripped my eyes and made me turn to glance at the man who had just come in one more time. I watched as he picked his toddler up and pointed at the snacks.

I smiled and we walked out of the building.

'I could speak to him for you 'ya know.' Amy said as she did an awkward wink with both her eyes.

'Who?' I tried my best to look oblivious as I said that.

'You know who.'

'The baby? So beautiful right?'

Amy looked at me and laughed.

Because we both knew it wasn't about the baby.

We walked back to my car and even as I drove off, I couldn't shake off the weight of that three seconds gaze I just had with the most intense pair of eyes I'd ever looked into.

~~~~~~~~
I came back home to find my sisters Halira and Raheema in the living room enjoying a bowl of popcorn but they weren't watching a movie. My weird sisters were trying to see how long they could stand on one leg.

Halira's slim legs kept shaking until she gave up and flopped down with a barking laugh. It took Raheema, the chubbier sister a few more seconds before she too fell to the carpeted floor, laughing.

And these are 20 and 22 year olds.

"What in the potato are you doing?" I said as I took off my shoes and walked in.

"Wa'alaikumus salam Yayus," Raheema said, "oohh what have we with you milady?"

Both girls hurried towards me to snatch the box of cakes from my hand. I let them take it before moving further into the living room.

"Where's Baba?" I asked as I reached for a cupcake from the box on Raheema's lap.

"Out with Ya Adam. Baba had something to do at the office and Ya Adam to the mechanic about his car." It was Halira who answered me.

I nodded my head. "And Inna?"

She signaled that Inna, our mom, was in her parlor and I made my way there.
The corridor that connected the larger living room to the smaller one had a big framed picture of my whole family.
There was Baba, our Senior Advocate father, Inna, our soft but strict mother, Ya Adam, our handsome Architect brother and then there was me, Halira and Raheema, all smiling at the camera that had taken the picture.