Chapter 3

Winter and Silver had finished getting their gear on. They were now headed for the tarmac. "You know, I am pretty sure your little Bradshaw shit his pants when he saw you," Silver said with a mischievous smile. Lani raised an eyebrow as she looked at him, "first of all my Silver dearest, he is not 'my little Bradshaw' that is just weird to say, secondly, I thought I smelt something," she said, returning the smile. Xavier laughed, "you are cruel." Lani shrugged as she laughed, "hey, you made the joke first."

"Oh, alright then," he wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "always blaming me." She nudged him softly, "well, someone has to take responsibility, and well you are older." Xavier gave her a fake offended look, "Uhm, excuse you! I am only a month older." Winter shook her head, "you are two months older," she sighed, "this is so embarrassing, my RIO can't do simple math." Xavier raised his hands in the air, "hey, who is the one that keeps us from getting blasted out of the sky? And if you say it's you because you're the pilot, I will kick your ass." Lani laughed as they found the doors that lead to the tarmac. Before opening the door, she put her aviators on and looked up at Xavier. "You wouldn't hit a girl with glasses, would you?" She asked sarcastically with an innocent smile before walking outside. Silver rolled his eyes, "that's not how that works!" He stated as he followed her out to the tarmac.

As they made their way to their jet, Rooster called out for her, "Lani!" But she ignored him and kept walking with her RIO. "Winter," Rooster shouted out again to get her attention, but she only walked faster. Silver glanced down at her, but she looked straight ahead. "Lieutenant Kazansky!" Bradley said louder with a hint of frustration and Lani came to a stop before turning around to face him as he speeds walked up to her. "Bradshaw," she said with no hint of emotion. "Look, can we talk?" Rooster asked her as he took a breath. "Well, it can wait," she said as she started to turn around, but Bradley grabbed her arm. "I suggest you get your hand off of me, Lieutenant." Rooster sighed, "will you just listen?" Silver quickly stepped in front of Lani as Bradley let go of her arm, "she doesn't want to talk man." Lani looked around, seeing that everyone was watching. She grabbed Silver's arm, "come on X, we have a HOP to fly."

Silver smirked at Rooster before turning around and walking away with his pilot. "I had it under control," Lani said. "Oh, I know. I just wanted to piss him off," Xavier responded. Winter shook her head, "one day, someone is going to punch you for all the shit you pull." He shrugged, "maybe, but today is not that day."

"What did I say about playing nice with the other kids?" Maverick asked, he was waiting for her at their jet after he watched what happened. "Oh, I didn't realize that included Bradshaw," she shrugged. "Winter, you can't be having problems with people you will fly this mission with," Maverick said. Lani thought about her answer for a second as she stopped at the ladder. "Then I guess I will just have to see to it that he doesn't fly this mission," she said with a mischievous smile. Pete sighed, "I don't like that look, Winter." Lani climbed into her jet, "it's the only one I got." maverick chuckled and shook his head, "that's my line."

__________________

"Good morning, aviators. This is your captain speaking. Welcome to basic fighter maneuvers. As Briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles. We do not go below the hard deck of 5,000 feet. Working as a team, you have to shoot me down, or else." Maverick informed them over the comms. "Or else what, sir?" Lani said with a smirk. "Or else I shoot back. If I shoot either one of you down you both lose, and thanks to your lovely teammate Payback, losers have to do 200 push-ups," her uncle responded. "Great, we all have to pay for someone else's stupidity," Silver said. "Oh no we are not losing this one, X. Get me eyes on the dinosaur," Winter ordered. Seconds later Maverick flew right between Lani and Rooster's plane causing them to both break in opposite directions.