Chapter 13

The mission was just two days away; everyone was on edge. The announcement that Winter would be the mission leader was announced but as for the rest of the team, no one knew who would be chosen for the mission. Winter wasn't sure if she was relieved to know early that she would be going on this mission or if she would have preferred to find out later like the rest of her team. Her past and the accident still haunted her, but she found a way to set them aside and focus on the task at hand because she knew if she doesn't put it behind her; her team would suffer greatly for it.

As for the events of last night, Lani wasn't sure how to approach Rooster; after all, she did kiss him and then ran away, literally. She told herself she would figure it out when that time came. For now, she just wanted to get through the last day.

This would be their last day of training, tomorrow, they would fly out to the naval ship to prepare for the mission. Maverick was finishing his last morning debriefing before sending everyone off to get ready for their flight simulation. Once everyone was dismissed, Maverick pulled Lani aside, "hey, wait up a minute." Lani shrugged and made her way to her uncle, "what's up, Mav?"

"Well, I trust you've been thinking about who you want on your team for the mission. Especially, who you want as your wingman." Lani raised her eyebrows, "I thought you were supposed to choose?" Maverick looked at her confused, "I am supposed to train you for this mission. But Winter, you're the one flying it, you need to know who can fly this mission and who you can fly with."

"I don't want to make that choice. If something happens on this mission, I would be responsible," Winter said softly. Maverick sighed, "how about this, we will talk about it later tonight at dinner and we will make our choice." She nodded but then paused, "dinner?"

"Yeah, your mom texted me and said family dinner tonight."

"When was anyone planning to tell me?"

"I just did," Mav said as he smiled. "Go get ready. Keep in mind who you think can fly this mission and who you can fly with," he added before patting her on the shoulder and walking away to get ready himself. Winter sighed and mumbled to herself as she walked to the locker room.

On her way out to the tarmac she heard a voice call out her name, "Kazansky!" Lani turned around to see Rooster jogging toward her, "well shit" she mumbled to herself. "Hey, Bradshaw. What can I do for ya?" She asked, a small part of her hoped he wouldn't remember last night, he could have been too drunk to remember, but that was too much to ask for. "Are you avoiding me?" Rooster asked. "What? Me? No, no, why would I do that? Why would you even think that?"

"Maybe because you just asked me multiple questions in a row, which you never do, unless you're lying about something," he explained. Lani mentally cursed herself, but at the same time, she thought it sweet how he remembered that about her. "It's uh, just stress with the mission coming up and all," she replied. "Uh-huh. Couldn't have anything to do with last night?" Lani took out her aviators and put them on, "nope" she quickly said before turning around and heading for the door to the tarmac. But before she could make it Rooster grabbed her arm and gently pinned her against the nearest wall and kissed her before she could say anything. He slowly pulled away but didn't leave much space between them. "People could see us," Lani whispered as she looked from his lips to his eyes, her sunglasses, further down the bridge of her nose. "Let them watch," is all he said before he kissed her again. "You know, you can't just kiss me whenever you want, Bradshaw," Lani said after she broke the kiss and pushed her sunglasses back up. "You know, I like it better when you call me Bradley."

"I will call you whatever I want, bird brain." Rooster sighed with a smile, "you're still so annoying."

"And you're still an idiot," she replied. "Oh yeah, how so?" He asked sarcastically. "Because you haven't asked me out yet," she simply said. Rooster smiled, "all right, Kazansky. When we get back from this mission, will you go on a date with me?"