Chapter 2

Blaring alarms echoed around the room. I jolted awake in a sweat, not knowing what was happening. Everyone was jostling to life, emerging from their makeshift beds. A crowd of men in masks appeared from the bolted door, one held 2 pairs of cuffs.

"Cassidy and Margaret!" one of the men shouted.

I was always taught to follow whatever the men in masks said, and even though they only called names, everyone knew what they meant. Jonathon's mother Margaret stood up and walked fearlessly to the men in masks. She was prepared for this. She knew this was the end for her.

"Cassidy!" the same person shouted but louder this time.

"Stand up, Cassidy." Flynn whispered next to me, but I shook my head.

"You'll get us all killed if you don't."

Flynn was right. If I didn't choose to stand up now, then everyone here could be starved for days. But the men in masks had never taken 2 people at once, and someone was just taken yesterday.

I shook as I stood up. The floor below me seemed to be melting, drowning me in a whirlpool of darkness. With every step I took closer to the men in masks, I thought I'd lose my balance and fall.

"Don't be scared, child." Margaret soothed, patting me on the shoulder.

But my seconds of calmness were interrupted by a man clasping cuffs onto our hands, pulling them so tight I thought my veins would burst.

"Thank you." Someone said before I was led out of the room.

The second the door behind us closed. I was submerged in a void of complete darkness. I couldn't see anything and only heard footsteps. For once, I was thankful that the men in masks were leading me otherwise I wouldn't know where I was going.

"What's happening?" I asked Margaret, hoping she would know something.

"You're leaving this place." She replied.

What? No, no, no, no, no! I couldn't leave this place, not now, not ever.

"But... but..." I stuttered. "What will happen to you?"

There was an awkward silence. Not just between Margaret and I but also between the men in masks. It felt like I was the only one who had no idea what was happening. What were they keeping from me?

In the far distance, I saw a singular lit lightbulb that was swinging from the ceiling. It gave light to my surroundings. Large boilers and whistling machines lined the walls. A pale cloud evaporated into the air.

"What is this place?" I asked, not sure who the question was directed to.

"This is the kitchen, it's where your food is made." A man answered.

Margaret gulped as the man said those words, she seemed nervous. More nervous than usual. She was almost always a calm person, but right now she seemed scared. Her face was tense and her hands curled into fists.

"What do you feed us?" I asked as I was genuinely curious.

The awkward silence returned. Even Margaret, a person I loved and trusted was keeping secrets from me. Secrets that I felt I deserved to know.

"Child, no one dies at 40 and 50." She replied.

"What do you mean? Everyone in the room never lives past 50."

Margaret considered telling me the truth, I could see it in her face. But instead, she decided to dodge it.

"This place ran out of food a long time ago."

"No more talking." A man grunted as he took dragged Margaret further down the hallway, leaving me with the rest of the men.

"Wait!" I shouted, desperately.

"This way." Someone said, dragging me into a different hallway.

This corridor was different to the rest, there were more rooms and doors that led to unknown places. The walls were now made of molding concrete instead of bricks.

"We're here." Someone bellowed, stopping in front of a large metal door.

The door in front of me opened, revealing a bright light that blinded my eyes it almost hurt. Crowds of people stood before me. Many were in rags but the few that stood at the front were dressed differently to the others. They wore watches and clean clothes, they obviously had money.

"Sir, your purchase has been delivered." One of the men said.

Purchase? What did that mean? The man behind pushed me forward towards a rich man. He smirked while looking me up and down. What was happening?

"She'll do." The man said to the men in masks before turning to me. "What's your name, girl?"

I didn't answer him at first. There were a few worried looks from the crowds behind him. THWACK! He slapped me right across my cheek. It stung as if a hundred wasp stingers were stabbed into my face. I could see the people behind him trying to hide their emotions of worry and pity.

"Must I repeat myself?!" the man shouted.

"My name..." I stuttered. "is Cassidy."

"Good girl." But the man didn't look pleased. "Everyone, lead the girl back to the mansion." He ordered. "I have some business to attend."

Everyone nodded but didn't speak a sound. There were about 20 people altogether of all ages, genders and races. Some looked almost 30, while others could've been as young as me. As soon as the man, as well as a few other people who I'm assuming are his family were out of sight. All the people charged at me.

"Rule number 1, always do what you're told." Someone said.

"Rule number 2, don't speak unless told to." Said another.

But I was completely overwhelmed. I didn't know what was happening. Everyone was crowding around me, telling me rules when all I wanted was an explanation.

"Guys!" someone shouted. "Give her some space. People that come out of those rooms aren't like the rest of us."

Like the rest of us? What were these people talking about? We were told those rooms were to protect us from the wars. To protect us from the destruction of the planet we live on. The old men and women told stories of missiles and nukes, they told stories of politics and protests. Those rooms were made so that humans could survive. And only a select few were able to leave when they were ready or healthy enough. When they were able to survive a world of war, a country of catastrophe, a planet that would soon perish from the hands of humanity.

"Cassidy," a boy around my age said as he walked up to me. "my name's Blake and I know it's confusing but you have to understand. We're slaves to our master, the man you met. Those rooms you were in were cells to grow slaves. You were bought by people to do whatever they want. If you misbehave, you're severely punished. You can be killed at any time, and sometimes your friends in the rooms are killed. Although that doesn't really matter for you because they're killed to be made into food anyway. It's a lot to take in, I know. We've all been there before, but you'll adjust like the rest of us."

"What?! What are you guys talking about? No, I have to go back and get my friends. They'll all be killed or sent off with strangers. I can't just leave them."

"She'll be a troublesome one." Someone whispered but I could hear every word loud and clear.

"Okay, everyone, just go back to the mansion and we'll sort everything out over there." Blake ordered.

No one objected him. I assumed he was the leader around here despite his young age. I felt like he could have a little more compassion for me. I just found out I had been eating my friends without knowing. I just found out that everyone I know is going to be killed or sent off. I just found out that everything I was ever told was a lie.