The Letter

To the Mysterious Miss F!

Ugh—I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes.

And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe Fails. But I swear—that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just... trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad. There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. And I CAN'T control them—just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.

So... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to.

And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me down—and since I know how stubborn you are, I want to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you.

That's why you have to stay away. Well, there are lots of reasons. So again, please, just... trust me, okay?

And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.

Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me.

It'll be better for everyone that way. You'll see.

Love,

Keefe

-----------------------------------

Sophie stared at the page with a blank look in her eye.

No, no, no, no this can't be happening!

"Sophie?"

Grady walked into her room and rushed to her when he saw the letter in her shaking hands.

"Sophie, I'm so, so sorry!" Grady whispered.

She raised her head, "What do you mean sorry? I mean, you have nothing to do with this...," She trailed off, staring at Grady.

"Wait. Did you see him before he left?"

"I'm sorry, Sophie," Grady murmured in her ear, "I admit that I let him go, but he was only doing it for your and your friends' safety."

"It doesn't matter! You should've let me talk to him and convince him to stay!" Sophie sobbed.

"If it makes you feel better, your friends are downstairs. But if you want some time, I can tell them to see you when you're ready," Grady offered.

Sophie sniffled, "No, it's ok. I've got to face reality sooner or later. But... did you happen to see what color crystal Keefe used before he left?"

"I can't tell you that, Soph. It's for your own protection. Also, you've got to deal with the warehouse burning down first. I'm pretty sure Mr. Forkle's about to blow his head off."

"I know, I shouldn't have done that, but Glimmer just got in my head!"

"Are you gonna tell your friends about the letter?"

"Well I have to sooner or later," she sighed.

"That's my girl. And Sophie?" Grady looked her in the eye, "Your mom and I will be with you every step of the way. Especially the hard ones."

Grady and Sophie walked down the steps of Havenfield and joined her friends. Fitz was the first to see her. His eyes widened when he saw the tear tracks on her face.

Hey. You ok?

Not really.

She took a deep breath.

"Uhh, guys?"

They turned around and saw her.

"Um, I...found this letter under Iggy's cage. And Keefe," she swallowed a lump in her throat, "he left."

Sophie's voice cracked as she fought to hold back tears, but one rebellious tear slipped out of her eye.

Biana took the note and read it out loud. By the end of it, everyone had different reactions.

Fitz was angry. Biana was sad. Dex wasn't meeting anyone's eyes for he knew what had happened in Keefe's last days in the Lost Cities. Tam was surprised while Linh was crying.

But Sophie sat there, numb. Reading it again was like re-slicing a wound open.

If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. Fitz's voice filled her head.

It's just...ever since we broke up I feel like things have been different between us. Things just don't feel the same anymore.

Well, maybe if we did more Cognate exercises and if you told that secret you've been hiding for forever now...

You wanna know that secret? It was the fact that I had a huge crush on you. Look, I know it may not seem like a huge deal right now but...it's the truth and I would really like if we could smooth it over someday.

"Hello? Anyone care to fill me in on what the great Fitzphie is talking about?" Dex asked, trying to release tension.

"Ok," Mr. Forkle said, clapping his hands, "I say we tell the Council what's going on."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," said a soft voice that came from the door.

Sophie's head snapped up and when she took a look at the beautiful woman standing a few feet from her, she internally groaned.

"The Council's in a very fragile state right now considering Miss Foster burned down a Neverseen warehouse and preparing for war," Oralie explained

"War?" Mr. Forkle asked.

"The Neverseen might consider this attack as nothing less than a declaration of war."

Everyone was frozen in shock, but Grady was the first to snap out of it.

"Then let's get ready."