Theo nodded, kissed the top of my head, and stepped back. Liam wrapped his arms around him, and Noah grabbed his hand.

“Okay, kid.” Nate smiled. “Let’s check your ribs. Lean back, please.”

I did as he said.

“This will hurt, but I will try to do it quickly.” Nate said. “I need to check if they are broken.”

I nodded and Noah grabbed my hand. I sent him a grateful smile before wincing in pain.

“Oh, shit.” I said loudly.

“Sorry, kid.” Nate said. “I’m almost done.”

I closed my eyes tightly and squeezed Noah’s hand. It hurt like hell.

“Okay.” Nate said and I let out a loud breath. “I don’t think they are broken, but I would like to do an x-ray just to be sure.”

I nodded and sat back up slowly.

“How did you get the bruises on your hands?” Nate asked, writing something down on my chart.

“He would grab me and hold me too tight.” I said quietly.

Nate nodded, not looking up.

I could hear my brothers murmuring something quietly, but I couldn’t understand what they were saying.

“Let me see your back.” Nate said and stood up.

I leaned forward so he could examine the cuts on my back. They weren’t deep, so I assumed he wouldn’t need to bandage them.

“Did he do them with a knife as well?” Nate asked and I could see his jaw clench tightly.

“Yes.” I said.

“They aren’t deep, but I would still like to clean and bandage them.” Nate said, sitting back down on the chair. “I don’t want your infection to worsen.”

“Okay.” I nodded and leaned back.

“Are there any more injuries, Lucy?” Nate asked me.

“No.” I shook my head. “Everything else is healed.”

I heard my brothers cursing under their breath, and Noah’s hold on my hand tightened. Nate gave me a stiff nod.

“I saw that the cut on your stomach was bandaged.” Nate continued. “Did you use some sort of cream or ointment on it?”

“Yes, Polysporin.” I nodded. “I’ve been using it on my back as well.”

“Okay.” Nate said. “How did you cope with the pain in your ribs?”

I bit my lip and looked down at my lap. “I’ve been using painkillers.”

There were a few moments of silence before Nate spoke again.

“What kind and where did you get them?” Nate asked.

“Tramadol.” I said quietly. “I’ve been taking them from Jack. He has a prescription.”

Nate sighed, and I looked up at him. “I’m sorry. I knew it was dangerous. But it was the only way I could go to school and work.”

“I know, kid.” Nate gave me a small smile. “It’s okay.”

I looked at my brothers. Noah was looking at me with tears in his eyes. Ezra was staring through the window. Liam and Theo were burning a hole in the floor with the intensity of their glares.

“You can put your hoodie back on, Lucy.” Nate said quietly.

I nodded and pulled the hoodie back. Theo and Noah were next to me in a second. They wrapped their arms around me, and I’ve never felt safer.