06. breaking point

Start from the beginning

              "I'd like to say no, but I know of things that affirm it," that caused Sam to turn around looking at her for a moment and almost hit the tip of a table. "Mom had her scheduled on her phones and I can see if she helped her with the divorce. In fact, I'm not surprised at all, Mom streamlined a lot of paperwork for women who were suffering from domestic violence and if that's the case with Vanessa...." Lilith's determination caused Sam to stop once they left the bar.

              A huge blizzard ruffled Lilith's long hair, tangling in front of her face. She had nothing more to say, her explanation had been concise enough to transform Sam's thinking. The boy did not say anything, he looked at the street, in the place where the Impala was supposed to be parked, but there they only saw how a black van reversed to park.

              "We have to be sure before we believe that woman Lilith," Sam said in what seemed to her to be an opinion he had said unintentionally, whatever the intention, the young woman swallowed her discomfort. "Will Dean come back or do we go on foot?" Sam got close to the shore and without having to stretch his neck because he was a damn giant, he looked for the impala in the following streets with a false hope of knowing where his brother had gone.

              "What, seriously followed her?"

              "Didn't you say go investigate her?" He replied in a tired sigh. "Welcome to our work," he concluded. A few seconds later Sam resigned." I guess we go back to your house, if you want we can check what..."

              Lilith was startled after a great rumble manifested itself in the warm Cambridge night, taking Sam's phrase into oblivion. For a moment she felt the activity of the city stop to concentrate on that horrible car accident, that managed to turn her heart. Her best friend's hunter instinct had taken a few seconds to appear and, like a child obsessed with solving crimes, the giant's feet began to walk towards the great chaos of horns and bustles of people. She swore the Winchesters had a special gift for getting into trouble. Of course, the little woman lit up eyes with curiosity and dismay for the people unfortunately involved and did not hesitate to follow him from behind. She soon experienced a complete void as she approached the breaking point.

             It didn't take long for them to turn the corner and above a dark cloud of smoke, the flames danced trying to touch the night. The heat invaded it a few meters away, where everything was safe and the rest of the people had grouped together to continue contemplating the accident until the sirens –whose presence could already be heard in some blocks– arrived to put out the fire. Even though she was a tall girl, the ocean of cars (each bent in the positions with which they saved themself) did not allow her to see exactly what she already anticipated as no miracle. The people around her had different reactions, some more sensitive than others, but the innate act did not escape Lilith as soon as she made a place a few steps ahead and witnessed in the front row the fatality of the accident: she put both hands to her mouth and felt an immense desire to vomit. She couldn't look more than two seconds. She closed her eyes and turned around as if it could erase the image from her mind.

             "Sam!" Even though Lilith had drifted away from her friend, who was still inspecting the accident, she heard Dean's voice rise from the hustle and sirens. "And Lilith? Where is she?!"

              The thickness of the exclamation and the level of concern made the young lady run to introduce herself.

              "What's wrong?" she replied because Dean was so worried. Lilith narrowed her eyes and looked at him carefully. She had been frightened just by identifying that face that predicted something wrong. Dean could look a lot like his father, and John Winchester was a fearsome man when he adopted a serious countenance. "Here I am."