Chapter 14

They are just bringing people with whom he had some issues in the past. They obviously will speak against him."
Abhijit says to Tanushree. He along with Sidharth are in her chamber discussing the case.
Tanushree smiles, "Isn't it obvious, Abhijit? Bhaskar Ganguly does have anything on him. We will get the verdict in our favour for sure. Just one more day for the defence to present their evidence, then the court will take some time to give judgement. I am waiting for the list of witnesses for the next hearing. "
There's a knock on the door and a young guy in white shirt, dark rimmed glasses enters the room and gives her a sheet of paper.

Tanushree goes through them and says, "Who is Subir Mehta? Ajay Mehta's son?"
"Yes. An old friend."
"Looks like he has turned foe. He is on the witness list."
Sidharth smiles, "I made him shave his head after winning a challenge. I guess he hasn't forgotten it yet."
Abhijit turns to see him and Tanushree lifts her eyebrows after hearing it.
"I know. That was a different time, I was a different person."
"Hmm.. What about Sameer Goenka?"
"Same. Punched him as he talked rubbish about my.. about Basundhara."
"Hmm.. Trilok Roy?"
"My manager. I think he has sold himself to them."

"We need to discuss your relations with him. We need to be prepared for that. And I need detailed information on your old friends turned enemies. Hmm.. Who is Naresh Singh Bagwari?"
Sidharth replies, "I don't know anyone by this name."
Tanushree says, "He appears to be from Uttrakhand. He must be from the same village where you were living. Try to think again and tell me. You could have met him once when you were there."
Sidharth tries to think and then says, "I don't remember meeting any Naresh when I was living there. Maybe I have met him but I don't remember anyone giving his name as Naresh."
"He is on the list. Don't worry, I will dig into this."

Tanushree sits down after asking her questions to the third witness of the day, Trilok Roy. He could not stand in front of her questioning and it was clear that the defence were not winning that day.
Bhaskar then stands up and calls his next witness Naresh Singh Bagwari. A man in his 30s gets up on the witness stand. He is fair, is of average height and health. He has curly hair, cut short and a thin moustache. He wears a simple striped shirt with brown trousers and slippers.

Bhaskar says, "Please give your introduction to the court."
The man joins his hands and makes a quick namaste to the judge.
"Nirmal Singh Bagwari, father's name Ravi Singh Bagwari, village- Champagaon, District-Chapawan, Uttarakhand."
Sidharth whispers to Tanushree, "He is Ravi Kaka's son. But I had never met him in the village."
Tanushree asks, "Did you ever meet him?"
"I think.. I met him a few days back. He worked as a security guard at.. Choti mom's place."
Saivi and Shehnaaz stare at him.

"Okay Naresh, can you tell the court if you recognize that man sitting there?"
Bhaskar points at Sidharth and Naresh turns to see him.
"Yes. He is Ratan Kumar. He is from my village. I know him well."
"Did you meet him after he returned to the village?"
"No. I haven't been home for years now."
"Ratan Kumar left the village when he was 12 years old and this man returned after 18 years. He was present in the village for three years during which you didn't return. Then how can you claim that you know this man and he is in fact Ratan Kumar?"
Naresh nods his head, "Sir, I can say that because he and I had left home together."
There's a murmur in the court and the judge orders everyone to stay silent.

"Can you please explain to the court what exactly is the story here?"
Saivi whispers, "Right. Story! He will start his story now."
Sidharth gives out a deep breath and steals a glance of Basundhara sitting on the other side.

"Mohan aur hum dost the aur cinema mein hero banna chahte the. We had planned to go to Mumbai someday. Ratan was younger to us but used to hang out with us. He too started loving the world of cinema. He used to sing Bollywood songs and dance to his tunes. One day I stole some money from my father and decided to run away to Mumbai. Mohan was supposed to join me that night but he got cold feet and didn't come. As I walked out of the village I saw Ratan sitting under a light post. Uska Baba ne Mara tha usse, imtehan kharab kiya tha. Isliye ghar chod ke aya tha. When he saw me, he didn't leave me and requested that I take him with me. We left for the city to catch a train together that night."