Chapter 5

Saivi sits on the couch of her bedroom. She is worried for Sidharth. He has changed so much. Her extrovert and fun loving brother has transformed into a serious and introvert person. Perhaps when you see death from such a close proximity, you do change. 
"Sai?"
Dida enters the room, calling her name. Saivi looks up and smiles. She comes and sits beside her.
"Sidu kahan hai? Has he returned home?"
 "No. He has gone out with Jia. Actually he is dying to drive his car but he can't. So I asked him to take the driver and go to get ice cream with Jia. He hasn't returned yet."

"Yeh sab Kab tak chalegi? He owns everything, this house, his cars, his businesses. But he can't enjoy anything because of those outsiders."
Saivi nods her head, "Today we got a good lead in the case. Tanushree was telling us, she has a few important points that she will put forward in the next hearing. Hopefully we will get the verdict in our favour very soon."

"Chai?"
The women turn towards the door to find Shehnaaz entering the room with a tray.
She puts it on the table and smiles.
"I thought aap log baat kar rahe ho, toh chai toh banti hai na. "
She pours each a cup and gives them.
Dida smiles back, "You are a very sweet girl. Come and sit here beside me."
Shehnaaz sits beside her.

"Shehnaaz, tell me about your family. Kon sab hai ghar pe."
Dida asks.
Shehnaaz smiles, "Sab hai par koi nahi hai."
Dida looks at her confused as she says, "My parents had passed away when I was 15 years. My mother's friend and our neighbour Karuna aunty took me in. I started living there. Their son Rishi became my best friend. Karuna aunty wanted me to live with them forever so when Rishi asked me to marry him, I said yes. He was Captain in the Indian Army, Punjab Regiment. A month after our wedding, he returned wrapped in tricolour."

She pauses for a minute, gulping down her pain and then with a sad smile she continued, "Karuna aunty wanted me to stay with them. But I couldn't. Rishi's memories were making it impossible. So, I took a job and moved to the tiny town in Uttrakhand."
"I have a few people who are actually my family but in reality I am all alone in this world."
Dida pulls her into her arms, "I am really sorry beta. I am really sorry."

Shehnaaz felt comfort in her embrace. A motherly hug that she missed from months. 
Shehnaaz drank little water and smiled at Saivi who looked concerned.
"I am fine. Don't worry"
"You are really very brave."
Saivi says, holding her hands.
Dida says, "And what you have done for our Sidu, I can never repay it to you."
"I did nothing, Dida. I just told the truth in court."

Saivi says,"Yes you did. But we are really thankful to you for that. Sid was really upset with the way he was being questioned. Your statements helped. I could see him relieved a bit. And you also took care of him when he was in Champangaon. Agar tum nahi hoti toh pata nahi uska kya hota."
Shehnaaz looks at a photograph hanging on the wall. It's Sidharth, smiling at the camera.
"No, Saivi di. It was not just me who took care of him. He had Gajendra kaka too. But the fact is he did a lot for us. He helped me a lot. So I am thankful to him."

Shehnaaz sat on the steps of the quarter where she lived when she visited Champangaon. It was a hectic day. 
She had got a call from Rishi's mother, Karuna, that morning. Rishi's death anniversary was coming and she had to go. Old wounds had opened up. She was upset.
And then she had to complete the duty at the hospital before leaving for the village. On the way the tires of the vehicles got punctured.  She had to wait for an hour before she could leave. Then she attended more than a dozen patients, did a delivery of a pregnant lady and stitches of a young boy who fell from a tree. She was exhausted enough and had no strength to even make tea. 

"Shehnaaz ji!" 
She lifted her head to find him standing in front of her. He wore a blue shirt, a green sweater on it, a pair of brown trousers and the old slippers on his feet. He stood there with the same cute smile.
Automatically a smile appeared on her face.
"Ratan? What are you doing here?"
He extended his hands to show her a cloth bag.
"Baba ne bheja hai."