The Sky Raiders: 2

When I got home, I touched up my makeup, and my  mom drove me  to Jenna's house. We stayed at her house to pass time, then met up with Laci and Sarah, who were with Blake, a bossy kid who likes to take charge, and two other boys I didn't know, I had seen them around school, but I didn't know there  names. They started walking to the house with the flagpole. Luckily, I wasn't that cold in Mesa in the fall. Sarah and Lacie walked with me and Jenna, the boys were a little ways ahead.
"Are you nervous?" I  asked.
"I am" said Lacie.
Sarah nodded in agreement
Jenna looked at me and said "you aren't?"
"I don't mean the house, Jen" I said, slightly smiling. "Don't you like Cole?"
"No!" She said, too quickly. "I mean we're friends, but nothing more." Her face said otherwise.
Me, Sarah, and Lacie laughed at that.
They stopped walking. They had arrived at the house. Cole and Dalton weren't there yet. They talked about school and homework for a few minutes when they saw Cole and Dalton walking towards them.
"Here they are," I said. "We can leave now."
"I have the address," Cole offered.
"I know where it is," Blake said. "I went by earlier tonight."
"What's it like?" Dalton asked.
"I didn't go inside, I just live nearby." Blake said.
As they started walking, Blake took the lead, I fell in beside Dalton, Lacie and Sarah. Jenna fell in beside Cole.
"Do you think the spooky alley will actually be freaky?" Dalton asked.
"It better be," I said. "I have my hopes up."
Lacie and Sarah nodded in agreement.
They marched briskly past a group of kids in superhero masks. Most houses had halfhearted decorations, some had none. Most were giving out candy. One house had full sized candy bars. They caught up with Blake and the other boys.
"I heard they have real cadavers," he was saying. "Dead bodies donated to science but stolen to use as decorations."
"Think that's true?" Cole wondered aloud.
"I doubt it," I said. "The guy would be in jail."
"What do you know about it?" Blake challenged. "Have you been stealing corpses?"
"Nope," I said. "Your mom was too broke to hire me."
Everyone laughed at that. Blake had no reply.
As we were walking, I almost hoped that Blake would take a wrong turn. He didn't. When the spooky alley house came into view, Blake displayed it like he personally decorated it. I rolled my eyes at him.
The house looked decent on the outside, much better than others they had seen. It had a few fake ravens perched on the roof, webby curtains hung from the gutters. One of the jack-O-lanterns puked seeds and pulp onto the sidewalk. The lawn had a lot of cardboard headstones, with the occasional skeleton leg or arm sticking up from the dirt.
"Pretty good." I said.
"I don't know," Cole said. "After all the buildup, I was expecting granite tombstones with actual human skeletons. Maybe some ghost holograms."
"The best stuff might be inside." Dalton said.
"We'll see," said Cole.
Blake went up and knocked in the door. The door swung open revealing a guy with long hair and a stubby beard. He stepped away inviting them in.
And in we went.