Chapter Two

Two

Niece?

Stunned, Marissa flicked her gaze to the lady Captain Langston had referred to as Mrs. Harris. Concern flickered briefly in the other woman's pale eyes.

"You must forgive my niece's attire, sir, but she is just arrived from Atlanta and has been helping me with some handiwork around the farm. With all the men gone to fight in the war we women have had our hands full."

Atlanta? I've never seen more than the airport in Atlanta, Marissa thoughtbut her voice froze again.

Captain Langston nodded in immediate understanding. "Of course, Mrs. Harris. These are times when we must all do our share to help one another. As for your mare, there is no need to send Fredrick out tomorrow, I'll make a point of stopping by in the afternoon when my shift at the hospital is through."       

"Why thank you, Doctor," Mrs. Harris gushed as the captain turned to Marissa and tipped his hat,

"My apologies for the rather abrupt meeting this evening, Miss—?

"M-McClafferty," she stammered out, grateful she could form any coherent thoughts or speech. "Marissa McClafferty."

He nodded. "Good day to you, ladies." And with that Captain Langston took his leave.

To say Marissa was confused would have been the understatement of any century. Marissa knew she was still standing in the field outside of the old brick farmhouse, but everything was different.

Even the air smelled differently.

Where the highway should have been she saw a wooded area with a dirt road winding through, and a barn lay off one side of the house where none had existed seemingly moments before. The dilapidated house she'd driven past countless times appeared in excellent repair with the trim and porch neatly painted white. The yard was decorated with a tasteful collage of flowers, and freshly washed linens had been hung out to dry. The word picturesque came to mind and Marissa turned tentatively to the woman who had proclaimed her a member of the family.

"Let's get you into the house, child." Mrs. Harris spoke kindly and her refined southern drawl had a soothing quality. Her pale hair with the slightest hint of gray about the ears had been pulled into a proper bun at the nape of her neck and her pretty face flushed with color. "We can't have anyone else seein' you dressed in such a fashion." Mrs. Harris took Marissa by the arm and led her behind the house toward a back door. "Don't worry, darlin'," she whispered emphatically. "You're not crazy, that much I can promise you."

"What!" Marissa spun away from the woman, dumbfounded.

"You are not crazy." Mrs. Harris stopped and turned to her, excitement sparkling in her blue-green eyes. "I have to ask, Marissa, what year is it where you come from?"

Marissa's eyes widened in alarm. "Well, I come from here," she hedged, unsure of how to respond.

"Yes, but what year is it?"

Mentally she threw up her arms and went out on a limb. "2012." Oddly terrifying as the declaration seemed she sensed Mrs. Harris already knew.

The woman nodded in satisfaction. "Twenty years on the nose. I'll be damned! Excuse me, I suppose a lady shouldn't use such language." Mrs. Harris let out a short almost hysterical laugh then shook her head as though to clear it. "It was 1992 when I found myself here and now it's 1863."

Marissa's mouth went dry. 1863. It could not be possible. Charleston, South Carolina 1863 meant... Mouth agape she could do nothing but shake her head in fervent denial. None of this could be real! "I'm dreaming. I must be dreaming." Perhaps she'd hit her head on that rock in the field and was unconscious.