11

Bang!  Bang!

"Hm?" Undertaker looked up from his paperwork when another set of banging struck against his door. Whoever the visitor was, they must be very impatient due to the continuous banging. But it's understandable since there was a rainstorm outside...

Taking the candle holder from the table, Undertaker stood from his chair with a sigh and walked over to the door.

"Undertaker! Open up!" a female's voice shouted from the other side of the door, followed by another banging. Undertaker smiled, already knowing who the door banger was. Grabbing the doorknob, he purposely hesitated for a second longer before opening the door.

"Undert—Gah!" A very soaked girl tumbled forward, landing face-first on the ground with her fist in the air. "Ow..."

"Ah, [Name]?"

Said girl lifted her head and glared at him—or tried to glare since her bangs fell over her eyes. "You did that on purpose, didn't you?" she pouted while standing and brushed away the damp hair to glare at him some more.

"What are you doing here? It's after midnight..." Undertaker trailed off to notice her trembling and reached for a nearby blanket to wrap it around her shoulders. "Does Sebastian know you're out here?"

Pulling the blanket up to her chattering lips, she replied, "Of-of course not... I sn-snuck out."

Undertaker clasped her shivering shoulder and guided her to a chair near the fireplace, beckoning her to sit while he leaned on an empty coffin to face her.  Setting the candle holder on a nearby shelf, he speaks up, "Then, did you need something?"

She glanced at him before darting back at the dancing flames, hesitating, yet she was pursing her lips behind the cloth. A faint memory of what happened earlier —crying at Sebastian's back in front of a child's tomb— struck her mind and gave her the impulse to part her lips.

"I'm... remembering things—vivid things. But every one of them hurts to remember... Why does it hurt so much, Undertaker?" Warm tears escaped from her twitching eyes and her teeth clenched as her red cheeks now glistened against the fire.

"I thought you said I couldn't remember anything at all!" she snapped and whipped her head at him only to find him smiling. "What...? Why are you smiling?"

"So you've finally noticed." Undertaker folds his hands together in interest; long, black fingernails crossed each other at his chin. "However, I never said you couldn't regain your memories."

"But-but you said I exchanged my memories for this fate!"

"That's correct. But they were merely a form of payment for reincarnation," he explained, spreading his lips into a grin as he knelt before her. "You may be artificial life but you do have human tendencies—carnal emotions— like I mentioned on your first visit. Now tell me, [Name]... How do memories work exactly?"

"I don't-" She furrowed her brows, pensive on the question. "They're just random... When they flash before my eyes I can remember them clearly."

"They are a recollection of the past," Undertaker stated. "Every time you unknowingly retrace your steps— standing at a familiar spot or being touched in a manner you used to be touched— can trigger a memory; hence why you transform into a human from a cat after Sebastian touches you in a certain way, or with simply words."

"So I am able to regain my memories... But, again, why do mine hurt so much?" she asked impatiently. "At the cemetery earlier..." Her words trailed off as she recalled how tight her arms were around Sebastian's torso, as if she sympathized with him— she understood his pain perfectly. "Why did I cry out of nowhere without knowing its cause? WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!?"