Part 3

After a long day of studying to be a 'perfect' wife and mother, I finally had gotten dressed in a nice dress for dinner. I had let my father and mother know that a friend was coming over for dinner. Though they did not approve of a 3rd class citizen coming into our house my father had made it clear how good it would look in the papers which had made me a bit upset because I didn't want the newspapers or anyone for that matter getting up in Spots business or for him to be used in my father's favor. We sat at the dinner table waiting until we heard a knock on the door. 5:50pm. He was early. That was good.

Spot's POV

I walked up to the tall mansion dressed in my best shirt and pants and washed suspenders and knocked on the door. Medda even did my hair and I bought some flowers from the money I've been saving from the extra construction work I've been doing in Manhattan. A lady in a maids uniform answered the door and let me in. When I entered Y/n and her family were standing by the table ready to great me. "Um, good afternoon Mr and Mrs Y/L/N. I'd like to thank yous for inviting me over for dinner." Mr Y/l/n shook my hand. "It's good to meet you. Have a seat and we can begin. I looked over at Y/n who smiled at me and I stared at all the silverware not knowing where to start. They also had beautiful crystal dishes and glasses which were filled with some red wine. Another lady in a maids uniform brought out a soup that looked to have celery, carrots, and some sort of dumplings in it. Everyone started eating and Y/n subtly showed me which spoon to use.

"So Mr. Conlon.." Y/ns father began speaking.

"Call me Spot please. Conlon was my father and I'd hate to be him."

"Okay Spot, what do you do for a living?"

"Well, any labor work Is can get my hands on. Is used to work at a factory until a friend of mine got in a terrible accident dealing with heavy machinery. Out of respect for him he wanted me toos quit and so Is did. Is moved on to digging ditches and carpenter work but now have settled for construction. Is working on building a few skyscrapers in Manhattan much like my dad did when he immigrated here. On my days off I sell papes like Is did when I was little."

"I heard about the newsies here in New York. They threw that strike quite a few years ago."

"Yes I was actually apart of that. I was one of them that made it at the front headline."

Her dad smiled but her mom frowned. "A working classmen. And you mentioned your parents are immigrants." Her mother spoke up. "Yes. Theys was Irish." I sipped some of the wine they had poured for me and it tasted better than any I had ever had. "So you're Irish?" I nodded my head. "Not a protestant I hope." Her mom laughed. Y/n gave her a shameful look knowing how rude her remark was and gave me an apologetic glance and I looked back at her and smiled then back at her mom and laughed. "Catholic actually." I replied and her mom and dad nodded their heads. When the soup was finished I was about to leave until her dad stopped me. "Leaving so soon? We haven't even had the main course."

"You mean this wasn't the dinner?" I said a bit surprised. Y/n leaned in to my ear and whispered to me. "First it's soup or salad, then the main dish which will me roast beef and grilled vegetables, and for desert I think we are having freshly made cherry pie." I smiled already excited. I don't think I had ever had a meal like this one. Not sense I went on strike with the other newsies and ate at the diner but even then it wasn't as fancy as this.

They gave me a lot of critical glances and their questions were judgmental but I easily played it off being used to the treatment. That was until one comment hit me hard. "Must be awful being as poor as you are coming to our grand house. How bad you must feel to be here. You should take some food with you home and don't think of it as charity." I smiled and stood up. "No. Thank you."