"You know she has eyes and ears everywhere. You think because you are a freelancer, you do not have to abide by her rules." Piper seemed to think for a moment, and her eyes flashed with what Natalie perceived as realization. "This Mr. Sheinfeld could be one of her spies, for all you know."

"This has turned to nonsense." Natalie waved Piper off, turning to continue sweeping. The witch stood there, fog tumbling over the cobblestones around their ankles. At last, she relented.

"Fine, here are your damn capsules. But at least owe me lunch or something."

"When do I not owe you lunch?" Natalie said, this time without playfulness, and snatched the bag from Piper's hand.

"I knew you would not agree to my first request."

"You know me well, then." Natalie looked deflated for a moment. "Sorry I was so defensive just now. I have not been feeling like myself lately."

"I wonder why," Piper scoffed. "Can I have a coffee or something? Can't fall asleep. Have a few errands to run today."

Natalie opened the door. The old wood creaked under her hand as the two of them slipped inside. While the mind weaver prepared them both a cup, she asked, "Where are you headed to today?"

Piper threw herself in the leather chair, rubbing her palms over the arm rests. "If Colette fires you, can I have this chair?"

Natalie handed Piper a cup of coffee. "I see how it is. Pick and make fun until I stop breaking rules?" She pulled herself onto the table and crossed her ankles, a cup of coffee in her own hands. With a conspiratorial smile, she whispered, "Never."

"I do not like the idea you had. The easiest way to handle Mr. Sheinfeld's memories. Easiest, sure, but the craziest. There is a reason Colette prohibited it."

"It is my gift. I can do with it what I wish. She cannot control me." Before Piper could retort, Natalie snapped, "You have nobody to answer to. You can do whatever you please, so do not lecture me about rules."

Piper closed her mouth. "You have a point. But it is not Colette finding out that I am the most worried about."

***

When Peter arrived, the sky was a canvas of scarlet and mauve paint, and he carried a box, his hands smudged like he had been working with black pastels.

"What is that?" Natalie asked, smiling and wiping clean the coffee cups she and piper had used only ten minutes before. Piper had left in a huff, claiming Natalie was in over her head, which the mind weaver tried to laugh about, refusing to show her true colors. Deep down, she felt infuriated with her friend. Infuriated she would belittle her so much, and it made her want to prove to Piper even further that she could indeed handle Mr. Sheinfeld's request.

Still, she felt a stab of guilt for reminding Piper, without thinking, that she had nobody to answer to. Sure, they were both technically women now, able to make their own rules, but she knew Piper never had parents. She said so the night they had met, Piper so drunk on whiskey she was in tears, taking Natalie's hands, admitting she had always felt so alone without a mother, or someone to look up to. That night, the two young women who did not even know each other, had opened up about so many things. Things they could not even admit to themselves yet.

"The weather is dropping below zero tonight. Thought I would bring you some fresh coal. Merchants are practically handing them out like candy."

Natalie wrinkled her nose. "What a weird tasting candy."

He laughed, not realizing what picture he had painted, and placed the box by the hearth. There was something about him that warmed her heart, so much in fact that she felt, oddly, like crying.