Pleasant Talks

Hours passed, and the 5 had come up with an almost plausible plan, one that only needed some more minor adjustments before they would pull it through the next day. For now, however, they decided they deserved a moment of rest because there was nothing much they could do until then. Of course, a certain tension lay in the air but it was bearable with causal conversation and jokes among them which made even William crack a smile from time to time. 

Laughter relieves pressure so try to do it as much as you can!

Yvette recalled her husband's words he'd shared with her the first time they had met. She had been nervous about it and he had tried to break the ice with silly jokes; with success. It was a lovely memory, one of the woman's most treasured ones amongst so many others she had with her family. 

"What are you thinking about, radish?"

Alexandre suddenly asked, obviously having noticed the woman grow silent.

"My family. Just some nice memories."

She replied, noticing Adette's smirk with a questioning look.

"Tell us about them!"

"Well, there really is not much I could say. My children are so well mannered and growing up quite well. They're still really young, eight and eleven. And my husband... well he's the most amazing man I ever met I love him very much." 

There wasn't much more Yvette could have or would have said, knowing there was way more than she could have said at the moment. But the older woman seemed pleased:

"That is adorable. I'm sure they are lovely, I'd love to come to visit them with you someday."

The redhead nodded with a soft smile:

"That would be lovely, madame, I'm sure you would like them. How about you? Do you have someone to love?"

"Well, not yet. But there is this girl back at the association that I fancy. Really clever, a bit shy. Truly a darling."

She sounded delighted and Yvette couldn't help but hope that they would become a couple. It still amazed her how open the Shinigami were compared to humans and it continued to make her happy. 

"What about you, Alexandre?"

"Oh, I'm not really interested in relationships, never have been. Or really fancied anyone. I much prefer good friendships like ours."

He admitted with a small shrug, taking his turn to ask:

"Humphries? Is there maybe more to this 'partner' Eric of yours?"

The other man stayed silent for a moment but ultimately gave in and spoke:

"Yes, actually. I mean, it's nothing serious yet but I think it's on its best way there. He just really understands me so well and promised to help me with the thorns."

William had stayed quiet, obviously hoping the others had forgotten about his presence but to no avail; Adette leaned forward a bit, giving him the most cheeky look Yvette had ever seen on anyone:

"You're not getting out of this one, William."

The other cleared his throat, correcting his glasses, and shook his head:

"I hardly think it's any of your business, Madame."

But she didn't let loose:

"Come on we all talked about it! And now we're just not allowed to know?" 

"She's right, Monsieur, just a yes or no."

Yvette pleaded and Alexandre laughed. Spears rolled his eyes and gave them the pleasure with a sigh:

"You behave like curious children. But fine. As a matter of fact, yes, I do."

"Is it Grelle?"

Alan asked amusedly and when the man turned away silently he added:

"It is Grelle!"

"Grelle? 

Adette asked happily:

"Last time I heard about her you didn't like her!"

Before William gave back anything else the house owner entered the room, holding a tray. It was covered with a piece of cloth and the smell was heavenly; it smelled like early childhood to Yvette, but in a different way than almond cake did. It smelled like her parent's home rather than a family friend's. 

"You need to eat to gather strength! I happened to bake too much bread, maybe you would like some of it? Unless it's a bad time of course." 

Alexandre's head perked up and he gave a wide smile:

"Oh no, not at all, please come sit with us, Madame. We could use a sixth brain to make our plan foolproof."

The old woman agreed and William quickly stood up to offer her his seat. She smiled and sat, uncovering the fresh food before looking up:

"What a polite young man you are. Here, have the first bite."

Carefully she tore a generous piece of the still warm bread and handed it to him. He took it thankfully, complimenting how good it tasted once he bit into it. Soon, the other 4 followed as well, receiving their respective piece, and collectively agreed to come by more often when they were hungry to which the lady replied with an agreeing laugh. 

The time felt short as they ate and talked, mainly about the timing and minor changes in the execution of their plan and the sun had already begun setting by the time they had talked everything through thoroughly. 

"Oh, dearies, you should sleep soon you have an exhausting day ahead of you! I prepared bedrooms, but you will have to share, there are only two."

The old woman suggested and with a yawn, Alexandre agreed. He looked at Yvette, about to offer her to share a room but Adette shook her head:

"Alex, maybe it's better if she sleeps with someone else tonight. You won't keep each other up with overthinking and debating that way."

"Debating? Adette I never-"

"Hush, Alex, you're already doing it. It won't kill you! Alan, William, would one of you volunteer?"

She asked, ignoring the obviously disapproving look on the man's face.

"I would prefer the couch, I would rather sleep alone."

Alan quickly chimed in before William could even open his mouth. 

"Wonderful, thank you, Will!"

The dark-skinned woman chuckled and he rubbed his temple in annoyance: 

"If you stay on your side of the bed, it seems like it has to be."

Yvette just nodded; she also would have preferred to share a bed with Alexandre, as she had in the beginning and on some occasions afterward. But she had to agree with her friend; they both needed the rest and sharing a room would have only led to anxious talk about their worries and it would have done the opposite of what the night was supposed to do for them; bring rest.

The 5 wished each other a good night, wished the old lady, who had brought a blanket for Alan, one as well, before they left to the rooms.