Chapter 8

I hummed along to the song playing on the radio. A awkward silence filled the truck as they drove along the road. Bradley finally ended it asking " So did you sleep ok? I stopped sleeping in that bed along time ago it got a little small." He chuckled, " yep it was good, I especially enjoyed the Star Wars sheets." You smiled at him as he looked away embarrassed. "I was 12!" He defended as I laughed. "You could've changed them you know" I said tilting my head sarcastically. "We never redecorated" he shrugged. "Ok well it was still very nice, I don't even remember leaving the bar. What did I do? Did I perform my self defense?" I joked and he laughed looking on to the road. "You um well you started yelling penis" he said holding back a laugh and my face turned white. "I what?!" I turned my head quickly. "Well you were laughing at my call sign and then began to call me penis. It was actually very funny, I should have videoed it." He laughed as I tried to hide my blush. "Everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac came on and we both made eye contact.

You were driving in Bradley's car on the night before graduation. You both were in a state of almost denial and could sense it from eachother. You two would always go on drives like this, almost to escape from reality. "Everywhere" came on the radio and you both sang along. You opened all the windows and turned up the music. It was perfect. You looked out the window, you wanted to stay like this forever. Just you and Bradley, together, away from everything else. He looked over at you, he had never seen anything so beautiful he thought. He wanted to be with you forever. He wanted to wake up next to you, he wanted to be free with you. He wanted to be with you everywhere.

You both quickly looked away seemingly remembering the same thing. I soon started to hum along to the song as he tapped his thumbs on the steering wheel. "Ohh iiiiii I wanna be with you everywhere" you began to sing, he smiled gazing over at you. You looked out the window at the ocean, and he stared at you just as he did years ago. Suddenly he felt a feeling he hadn't felt in so long. It was love. He hasn't felt this kind of love in so long. He had forgotten how strongly he felt for you. He quickly looked away trying to pull himself together. You noticed how nervous he had gotten and asked "you good bradshaw?" He barely glanced at you, "oh um yea I'm fine" he shook it off. Ok you mouthed looking at the ocean again. Something about the water always comforted you, it made you feel safe. Whenever you were on a assignment away from home, you would just go and look out at the ocean. It brought you so much comfort knowing that out there, maybe, he was looking at the same ocean too. You two would always sneak out at night to go stare at the ocean. You knew if you never had anything connected to him, you would still have the ocean.

You pulled up to the Hard Deck and you opened the door, "Thanks for the ride" you smiled. He grinned back at you, "anytime sweets". You waved and walked towards your car.

"During the Korean War the Navy kill ratio was 12 to 1" some instructor rambled on. You were sitting in the Tamarac. 8 desks, 16 seats. Across from you sat Phoenix and her backseater, "Snake" he was cool, had sick tattoos. Behind you sat rooster and in front Hangman. "Now I'd like to introduce to you our commanding officer at Top Gun, He has won the Top Gun trophy and a mig killer over 8 times, you will not find a better fighter pilot in the world." This made your chuckle "His name is Commander George Harrison, call sign "Ghost". A tall gray haired men walked towards the front, he took of his aviators and gave us a grin. " you are here because you are the top one percent of all naval aviators. Your elite. The best of the best. We're gonna make you better." He said walking down the row taking a look at all of us. "You'll be moving every minute, Flying at least two combat missons. Every session will get harder and harder. It all will come down to the man" he then added " or woman in the box." Hangman looked at me then Phoenix smirking. Phoenix rubbed her temple with her middle finger as you just stuck yours out to him, not caring if anyone saw. Rooster snorted at the scene. Ghost was rambling on about the plaque when he noticed your grin, "you think your names gonna be on it?" He asked smiling "yes sir" you answered confidentiality. "That's a pretty arrogant  considering the company your in." He replied. " Yes sir" you said again, still grinning. "I like that in a pilot" he told you walking towards the front again. Hangman turned to chuckle at you but his eyes were met by your middle finger yet again.

You walked slowly out of the building towards the cars with everyone else. "Hey disco!" Phoenix yelled jogging up to you. "You coming to the hard deck tonight? Everyone is gonna be there." She asked. "Ooh I don't know, I'm still pretty tired from last night." You smiled softly, thinking about the events of last night. "No you should come, a certain someone would definitely enjoy your company" she wiggled her eyebrows. "If your talking about who I think your talking about, your wrong." I informed her. "Whatever you say, but uh last night he was definitely happy to see you." She said walking away. "Whatever you say" I said walking towards my car.