xxxviii. chosen one

i. i met god in a cafe one morning, she paid for my coffee then asked me what i expected from my life. i told her happiness. i told her she had put me through the wringer quite enough. god laughs and walks away. she smells like sunshine and seawater. a bouquet of wishes and lost prayers.

ii. god appears in my apartment one afternoon and we have wine and popcorn. she tells me the secrets of the universe and the slurs out humanities indiscretions. we catch up on grey's anatomy together and she falls asleep mid-season. when the sun emerges over the horizon i find a bowl of ambrosia and beans on my bedside table with a note that says: hangover cure.

iii. summer comes and we sleep in all day. we party through the night. god takes me to ibiza and monaco. tokyo and ghana. i teach her how to flirt without smiting and to kiss without biting. i hold her when she feels heartbreak for the first time. see, i sing. humanity isn't all it's cracked up to be.

iv. we're sprawled out on some beach at night. it might be italy. it might be south africa. all i know is that the stars shine bright when i ask her, how much longer do i have? god looks at me and for the first time doesn't smile. she takes my hand and whispers my name. long enough, she says. long enough.