"You don't get to say goodbye," I said quietly as I heard Alec shift behind me. He put his arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer "Not this time."

"How can you say that?" Alec asked "I know I'm not your version of me, but we were in love, right?"

I smiled "Oh, we were," I agreed "But, I've watched you die. There are universes out there where I'm the one who kills you. I can't see that happen again."

Alec hugged me close "But, maybe there are others-"

"No," I interjected "You died because you were always supposed to. I just didn't want to accept that. We can't save everyone."

"It's not fair," Alec said, tears running down his face. I gently kissed his cheek, wiping them away with my thumb.

"Life is never fair," I whispered.

"Then maybe... one last song before I go," Sandalphon said closing his eyes "I think it'll help both of us understand our choices."

I knew I should be feeling sad or angry, but as the music swelled and I began to sing, I felt only peace.

Grey days
Clouds in the sky
Glass fronted buildings
We wave from up high
Above the world

It seems we're all waiting
For something to do
Some kind of purpose
Or maybe just something at all

We're tired of waiting
We're bored out our minds
Feel like you're stuck
Put the tape on rewind and say

Today is the beginning
The moment we started living again
Freedom is overrated
Most will try and fake it
So don't waste your time
Know that we're all being left behind
In the end
Oh, in the end
Nothing is worth your time
So don't even stress your mind
Find a way to cope with it
Life is a piece of shit
Don't you think?

See what I mean
Nobody here is clean
Follow the leader
I'll follow the book instead

People can't change
The world stays the same
We'll rise to meet them
But we'll never feel that way
Such a shame

The winners and losers
The fakes and the posers
None of them were chosen
Now that's why it's hopeless
I can see it

Think that you're winning?
It's only the start
Freedom is overrated
They will try and fake it
So don't waste your time
We're all left behind
In the end
Oh, in the end
It's not worth your time
So don't stress your mind
Just try to cope
It will burn up your soul
In the end

Oh, in the end
In the end!

The choices we make
To fight against hate
To be our best
To not be a mess
It's all just a lie
Put the dirt in your eye
And say

In the end I'll be better
In the end I'll get smart
In the end I'll be nicer
In the end till it stops

In the end I'll learn something
In the end we will fight
In the end it's all over
In the end it's alright

In the end you will win
In the end you all lose
In the end we've just started
In the end I'll lose you

As I finished the song I realised that Sandalphon was gone. Alec was holding my face in his hand, looking deeply into my eyes. He wiped my tears away.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded and pulled me forward, pressing his lips to mine. The kiss was chaste and gentle, yet passionate. It was unlike any other kiss we'd shared and it made my stomach clench slightly.

"Maybe somewhere out there, I am okay," he replied, pulling away and smiling softly "But, I'm not the version who's going to get a happy ending."

My lip trembled and I nodded slightly. He grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly.

"I need you to promise me something," he said. I just looked at him in confusion. "Promise me that if you can't save me, you let me go, okay? Don't let the balance break. I don't want anyone getting hurt."

I shook my head, tightening my grip on his hand "What about me?

His eyes sparkled as he stared at me for a few moments "You have work to do," he said. Then he kissed my forehead "Go save the multiverse, bloodsucker."

He really was Alec. They all were deep down. I gave him a small smile and then I released his hand and stepped back towards Michael and Victoria.

"Come on guys, let's go back to our bodies," I said as I reached them.

Victoria just nodded, "Yes, let's."

"We have The House Of The Apocalypse to deal with," Michael added as he looked up at me "And, we know Lilith has made a move against Lucifer. We are one step behind everyone else, and I... am not of use to you anymore."

"That's not true Michael," I replied putting my hand on his shoulder "You're a part of this family. You might not think it, but you are, and, whatever happens, we will find a way to defeat this. Together. all of us, we will find a way to win."

"Together," he nodded.

We took hold each others hands and closed our eyes letting the darkness take hold of us once more.