chapter seven

The embarrassment is still raw for Willow as she walks into her homeroom, Ms. O'Donnell's English class.

She can't tell which part of the interaction had stung the most: was it the part where Eddie thought so lowly of her that his mind had jumped to her wanting to scam him out of some free drugs? Or the part where he'd requested his jacket back? The part where he once more, reduced her down to nothing more than Steve Harrington's friend?

"Please take your seats everyone," O'Donnell calls from her spot at the front of the classroom, sharp eyes watching as each student files in.

Willow isn't even shocked when her eyes find Eddie slumped in a desk in the farthest corner, legs stretched out and a bored expression gracing his face. At this point, she nearly laughs out loud bitterly. Of course the cause behind her bright crimson cheeks would share a homeroom with her. Because why not?

She's about to take a seat in the front of the classroom when O'Donnell clears her throat, eyes staring right at Willow. She's only confused for a moment before O'Donnell taps the chalkboard and a freakishly neat seating chart is written out. She had just assumed based on Eddie sitting snugly in his corner that it was free seating. She had forgotten this part of O'Donnell's reign, which Steve had indeed warned her of.

"Seating chart, miss Jenkins."

"Right. Sorry."

Willow's eyes scan for her name, starting with the seats farthest from Eddie. She hopes for luck but comes up empty-handed. Her name is written in all capital letters on the square right above the square that was filled with Eddie Munson's name.

"By Munson?" she complains, not keeping her voice soft enough for O'Donnell to not hear her.

"She hates back-talkers, snide comments, that kind of stuff. Don't complain in front of her," Steve had warned. Willow felt like an idiot at O'Donnell's glare.

"Is there a problem, Miss Jenkins?" O'Donnell questions, quirking an eyebrow as she crosses her arms. Jesus, she really was the stereotypical evil teacher, wasn't she?

"No ma'am," Willow assures, voice sickly sweet as she's well aware she needs to be on this teacher's good side, "None at all."

Neither say another word as Willow turns and starts to make her way to her seat. Eddie's too busy tracing the surface of his desk to notice her until she's right in front of him, and has to softly clear her throat once she catches sight of his shoes propped up in her chair.

Her voice is so quiet, she's lucky Eddie pays her any attention at all. "That's my seat."

Eddie is wordless, stare hard and cool as he slowly removes his sneakers off the chair.

"Thanks," Willow mutters, dropping herself into the seat immediately. She considers the fact that maybe, just maybe, sitting in front of Eddie is a good thing. She won't have to see him at all during class. Technically, if he is the truant everyone claims he is, she won't have to see him before class either.

Ms. O'Donnell starts up class once the bell rings right on time, wasting no time as she brings up the summer reading they were assigned. Each student had to choose a novel of their choice at the end of the last school year to read and annotate over the summer. Obviously, their choices had to be approved before the last day of school, but other than that, it had been a simple assignment (in Willow's opinion).

"Now, I am giving you all the benefit of the doubt that you did, in fact, complete this reading, as it will be crucial to our first project," the stuffy classroom was filled with stifled groans at the prospect of already being assigned homework. "No complaints, please. I choose to skip any ice-breakers the first day due to this very assignment."