chapter five

"Hello, everybody! We're Corroded Coffin!" None other than Eddie Munson yells into the front mic.

Willow doesn't know how to react as she takes in the scene in front of her. She'd heard rumors that Eddie played the guitar, but it had never occurred to her he might have a band. A band that actually plays gigs. A band that he was the lead in.

"Holy shit ," Robin echoes Willow's shocked statement, leaning in closer to catch a better sight of the boys on stage.

Steve has already turned back around to face Willow. "Since when did the freak have a band?"

Willow is about to agree with him, encompassed with shock and confusion, when the drummer counts in the first few chords of the band. The song is familiar, but Willow can't put a name to it. She's almost entranced as she watches Eddie play his guitar, fingers moving at what feels like an impossible pace to her. With each movement, she can see his rings glint in the terrible lighting that's pointed directly towards the stage. She can't look away, clearly gawking as her mind now has to process Eddie Munson and his secret band on top of all else she's learned in the last twenty four hours.

She's only pulled from her trance when Steve clears his throat.

"This is insane," she grumbles, focusing on her coke in front of her.

"That's one way to describe it," Steve agrees, throwing back the rest of his drink. Robin is still shamelessly staring at the band on stage, seeming to enjoy the performance as she nurses her drink.

Steve waves over the bartender and orders another drink, but Willow can't hear him clearly until he turns to her. "So, I gotta ask, why the hair change?"

"Why not?" Willow counters, raising her voice over the music.

Steve shrugs, smiling softly at her. "I dunno, didn't take you as a fiery redhead, I guess."

"Can I be honest?" Willow questions, and Steve is leaning in even closer to her, his knee bumping against hers, "I meant to just go more boring ginger. But somehow, me and Robin royally fucked up."

Steve throws his head back in laughter, Adam's apple bobbing and hair bouncing. Robin takes notice in the conversation now, sending a suggestive glance Willow's way.

"What's so funny?" Robin asks, her shoulder meeting Willow's as she presses in close enough to hear the conversation.

"I was just telling Steve about how shitty of a hairstylist you are. You aren't getting a tip, you know," Willow teases softly, leaning against Robin and tilting her head.

From there, easy conversation flows between the three friends, as it always does. Robin and Steve continue to throw back drinks, and Willow eventually moves onto a second coke. She manages to stay focused fairly well, but still catches herself glancing towards Corroded Coffin on stage. She may not know Eddie well, but she can tell he's passionate about music. He's throwing himself into every song as if he's performing at Madison Square Garden, not just some hole-in-the-wall dive bar. And he's talented. As his fingers fret along the neck of his guitar, Willow is left in momentary awe at the sound that it emits. It's not her favorite genre of music, something heavier and grittier than her taste, but it's still mesmerizing and enjoyable.

"Willow? Earth to Willow? C'mon, are you even listening?" Robin is waving her hand in front of Willow's face during a moment of weakness in which she's infatuated with the performance.

"Huh?" Willow questions, realizing her body had twisted to the side to enjoy the performance more. As she glances around the bar, she realizes she might have been the only one truly focused on the band.