"Just call me Pepper"

~✨JJ's POV✨~

After our boat ride this morning, we came up with a plan on how to find where the coordinates on the map lead too. We were all in the Twinkie, getting ready and making sure our idea would actually work. "Okay." John b started. "We've got a plan now all we. Need is to pick up Maddie."

"Are you even sure we can trust her? I mean she randomly shows up one day and when she starts hanging with us everything goes to shit." Kie sat forward and squeezed her way in between me and Jb in the front. "Coincidence? I think not."

"Kie, I'm pretty sure her appearance isn't the reason why we were shot at. Or the reason Jb's house got destroyed." Pope reasoned from his spot in the back.

Kie ignored Pope like she always does when he says something she doesn't like. John b ignored her as he started driving towards figure eight. And past the hotel. He kept driving until he stopped right outside of Maddie's house. "Alright, lets go." He took the key out from the ignition and started towards Maddie's front door. I didn't hesitate to follow him.

And of course like always i could hear Kie and Pope get out from the back.

John b pushed me towards the front. "Knock, JJ."

"What? Why me?" I turned around to look at him.

Pope sighed. "Cause you've knocked on the door before and if she's home and opens the door it'll be less awkward if she sees you first." I shook my head. "That makes no sense. John b is literally her cousin, so i think he should knock." He didnt gets to respond when Kie showed us out the way and knocked herself. John b cleared his throat while i scratched the back of my neck. "That works too."

We didnt wait long before the door swung open and we were met with a some blonde day who had her ear pressed to her phone. "No-Happy, i really dont care what you tell them just cancel that meeeting I- hold on." She moved the phone away from her ear and smiled at us.

"Hi. How can i help you guys?" Pope cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Good afternooon. I'm Pope and these are my friends-" he was cut off by Kie. "We just wanted to know if Maddie was home?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. You guys missed her. She just left a few minutes ago."

"Uh- do you happen to know where she went?" I asked

"She went to go pick up her brother from work. She'll be back soon if you guys wanna wait for her inside?" I think i speak for all of us when I say we were shocked that a Kook- and adult Kook was inviting us into her home with a genuine smile and not some snobby fake rich person smile.

"And where exactly does her brother work?" Pope asked "he works in some hotel- I'm not sure what is called but i do have the address of it. I could give to you guys if you want, you all seem in a rush and maybe you'll catch Maddie on her way back home."

"That would be nice, actually." Kie stated with what was obviously a forced smile. But the lady seemed to buy it. The lady nodded and brought the phone up to her ear. "Happy, I'll call you back." She opened the door wider for us to walk in and closed once all us were inside and waiting for her to lead the way. "If you guys wouldn't mind taking off your shoes that would be great." We all shared a look that she seemed to notice cause she continued to explain.

"I just finished mopping up a bunch of mud Rocky brought in with him, i swear that dog just doesn't have an off switch- i mean he sees an open door and just has to run out it." She laughed and started leading us towards the kitchen. I was looking around their house. And holy shit their house is huge. Their kitchen is probably the size of my house combined with half of the château.

When she lead us into the kitchen she told us to wait there while she grabbed a piece of paper and pen.

I watched the lady leave and walk into another room, making sure she was out of earshot. "Holy shit, guys!" I laughed as I walk around the kitchen messing around with random stuff on the counters.

"Look!" I grabbed onto the coffee machine sat on the counter. "They have a coffee machine." I looked to to my friends who all had unimpressed looks.

"JJ, stop touching their stuff." Kie scolded. "Dude, the lady can come back at any second." Pope said.

"Stop worrying so much Pope." I walked over to the fridge and opened it, looking at all the food that was available to them. "Man... kooks really do have it good huh?" I moved to the side giving them a better view of the fridge.

"JJ, that lady can come back any moment." Pope hissed out in a harsh whisper.

I closed the fridge and let out a dramatic sigh. "Relax, Pope. I think we'll know when she comes ba-"

"Alright, I found paper and I wrote the address of the hotel for ya." The blonde lady came back into the kitchen and handed the paper to John b.

He took it from her and nodded "thank you Ms- uhm" John b was cut off by the lady shaking her head and waving her hand to dismiss him.

"Just call me Pepper. When people call me misses it makes me feel old." She laughed. "Uh thanks then... Pepper?" John b tried thanking her again, hesitant on using her first name like she said in case it was some weird kook test.

She smiled and nodded. "Your welcome."

"Now, I don't mean to sound rude, but I really have to call back my head of security- if you guys could see yourselves out that would be great." Before any of us could respond she walked out of the kitchen and back into the room she went to get the paper from.

John b turned to look at the lot of us and hummed is satisfaction. "Maybe New York kooks aren't that bad."

A/n
I hope y'all like this chapter I took me like 3 hours to write even though it took me forever to figure out what to do with this chapter🥲

XoXo,
Lani❤️