"What the hell is a boneyard?"

The ferry ride from the mainland to the island was about an hour. Morgs and I fell asleep the moment we sat down. We're now on our way to our new house. And I still can't believe dad made us move and leave everything and everyone behind. Like how does he expect me to leave Sam and Wanda behind they're my best friends.

We were just passing over a bridge and I watched as we passed a sign that says

"WELCOME TO THE OUTER BANKS PARADISE ON EARTH".

My gaze left the sign when I here our driver honk the horn and curse at the old Volkswagen that just passed us, going way over the speed limit.

We're pulling up to our new house now and can I just say it looks amazing. Its a beautiful brown- beige- ish two story house. I'm used to living in a big house well In this case compound. But I've never lived in an actual house before.

When I lived with my mom in New York we lived in an apartment building we didn't have much money even though dad sent child support monthly it still wasn't enough money for the rent, water bill, electricity bill etc. and mom also wanted me to have opportunities in the future so she would also use any extra money she could get and signed me up for dance and voice lessons. Which in the end did pay off because I'm a pretty decent dancer with an amazing singing voice.

When we walk in the first thing we see are the stairs that split the inside of the house. The left side leads to the living room while the right side leads to the dining area that connects to the white marble tile kitchen. There's a big island in the middle of the kitchen with bar stools all lined up in front of it.

I make my way up to my room while my family does god knows what. My stuff from the compound is all here. My bed, my vanity, my bureau everything. Even my books and little nick nacks that dad would bring me and Morgan back from his missions or souvenirs from moms business trips. It's all even set up just like it was back home at the compound.

I hate it.

It reminds me of back home and all of my family I left behind. I look to my right and see boxes full of my stuff. I'm a very lazy person but if I start unpacking now then I'll have an excuse of why I can't go to that kegger thing.

Knock, knock

"Come in." I say absent minded

"Hey Maddison!" I didn't recognize the voice until I turned around and found none other than Sarah.

"I just stopped by to see if you and Morgan were still up to go to the kegger with me and my friends?"

"Oh Sarah I would but I completely forgot I have to unpack my stuff but maybe next time, Yea?" And almost as if it was her cue mom chimed in.

"Maddison, honey you don't have to worry about that it's our first day here and you already have a lovely friend go out with her and your sister and have some fun!" She turns to walk away but stops and looks over her shoulder "But not to much fun. And take your car so you don't have to walk or make poor Sarah drive you." And with that she left without giving me a chance to come up with another excuse as to why I can't go.

"Great! Well the kegger starts at 6 which gives you about 3 hours to get ready. I'll come and make sure you and Morgan are ready to go."
And once again Sarah leaves without giving me a chance to say anything but I don't know there's something about her that doesn't make me totally-completely-absolutely hate her? I guess you could say.

~~~~~~

It's a little past 6 and I'm in the living room waiting on the couch for Morgan to come down so we can go pick up Sarah next door. I think that's what I'm supposed to do considering the fact that mom offered for me to drive without even listening to what I had to say.

"Finally you took forever." I say when I notice Morgan walk into the living room.

"Since when are you excited to hang out with people?" Morgan saased back. Obviously annoyed with my comment.

"I'm not but the sooner we get there the sooner we can leave so hurry up cause I have to pick up Sarah."

~~~~~~

"Right so I know that I agreed to come to this kegger but ... what the hell is a boneyard?"

I ask Sarah who is sat in the passenger seat as I'm parking my car. "Yea is it like actually a yard filled with bones or..." Morgan trails off waiting for Sarah to answer our previous questions but all she does is laugh. It takes her a couple of seconds to control her laughter before answering as all three of us girls get out of my car. "No it's just what we call this area on the beach that's like completely covered in logs, tree stumps, and sticks and twigs everywhere."

"Ohhhh." Morgan drags out before continuing "yea that makes a lot more sense." And for the first time since I found out we would be moving to outer banks 2 months ago, I smiled.

XoXo,
Lani❤️