Chapter 2

Y/N smiled as members of the cast introduced themselves around the table during the first table read for the fourth season of the show. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming to the new cast members, and for once, Y/N felt a sense of welcoming from the group that she had not felt before. In the past, she was always very timid around new people and even when she was in a large group social setting, still found herself watching what was happening instead of being a part of the action. She was made fun of as a child for getting her growth spurt before most of the other kids and adding her weight basically made her a social outcast, much like Joe's character, "Eddie Munson". She shifted a little in her chair, uncomfortable and sad thinking about her school days as she listened to Joe reading his introduction scene in episode one.

Once the read through was over, the cast members were given a few days to study the script before rehearsing and filming would begin. Natalia, her boyfriend, Charlie Heaton, and Keery decided that there was no better time to plan a small poolside BBQ for everyone to get acquainted. The next day, Y/N sat in a chair reading her script as a group text message came through her phone announcing the party:

Text from Natalia: Hey everyone! BBQ at the pool 2nite. Let have some fun before the hard work starts.

Y/N put her phone down when she heard a gentle knock on her door, opening the door and smiling to see Joe standing there with a goofy grin on his face. "Ms. O'Donnell. How are you this glorious afternoon?"

Y/N snickered and motioned for him to come in, "Mr. Munson. It sounds like you have a much better grasp of the English language than a D average. Come on in and have a seat." Joe ran his hand through his curly hair as he looked around and took a seat on the chair across from her.

"You have a lovely set up here."

"Yeah. Natalia really went to bat for me after my audition. I didn't realize she liked me that much, but she was really happy with our interactions and she persuaded the casting people to consider me for 'Tracy' and now, here I am."

"That's amazing. I actually did 2 video auditions for the Duffers so I haven't interacted with anyone before the table read."

"Really? That's crazy! You had so much chemistry with everyone at the run through. You have an amazing talent, Joe."

He blushed and smiled. "I guess sharing a scene with an excellent ensemble really makes it easy. I was thinking, I have my script here. Would you mind helping me out with my accent? The dialect coach won't we available for a few days and I would really like to get a step ahead of the game, you know?"

She agreed watched as Joe started reciting his introduction speech. Y/N was mesmerized by him, Joe had a way of speaking with an inflection that drew her into another world. She felt like she was back in high school watching one of the rebellious boys in school standing up to the popular kids who were bullying them. She watched and began feeling the sense of sadness and insecurity she felt as a high school student, and it gave her a level of sympathy for his character. Joe seemed to see her discomfort, because when he got to the part of the speech when "Eddie" was confronted by "Jason", he jumped up from his seat and stuck his tongue out, making devil horns with his fingers and gurgling sounds. Y/N was sipping tea and choked a little as she laughed at Joe, who also started laughing out of character and apologizing. "So sorry, you just looked so serious, I had to do it." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief. "May I? You have a tiny splash of tea on your cheek." Y/N stopped laughing and nodded quietly, surprised by the gesture. Joe took the handkerchief and gently dabbed it on her cheek, making her blush.

"Thanks..." she whispered as he smiled and cleared his throat, sitting next to her on the sofa. He fidgeted in his seat a little. "I actually wanted to ask you something. Are you going to the party later tonight?"

Y/N nodded. "Sure, everyone has to go according to Nat. Why?"

"Well, I thought... that is... I figured... maybe... you would like to attend with me?"

"You wanna go to the party with me?"

"Sure, I mean, we're both newcomers and what better way to get to know each other a little better than going to the party? I rather enjoyed our chat when we got the scripts and it would be nice to be at the party with someone I already know a little." She hesitated a little, worried about how it might look for her to show up with him, but smiled figuring he was only asking, like he said, to be there with someone he already knew.

"I think that's a great idea. I really haven't met anyone but you and Nat. Well, I did get to spend time with Mason talking about our storyline." Y/N was a little surprised when she said yes and Joe almost looked relieved. He took a deep breath and smiled as he looked at her, silent for a couple of seconds before looking at his watch and standing up, walking towards the door. "Party is in a couple of hours, so I better head back to my place and get ready if that's alright." Y/N furrowed her eyebrows as she followed him, a little confused as he opened the door. "That'll give you time to do whatever girls do before a date, so I'll see you in a bit." He took her hand and kissed it, grinning as he walked down the hall to his door.

Y/N closed her door and leaned against the door, taken aback. Date? She thought as she paced around her condo. He couldn't have meant a REAL date. He must have meant like a date to hang out. Maybe British dates aren't like American dates where a couple are getting to know each other romantically. Brits must have dates to just hang out. That's it, stop overthinking it, Y/N. He can't be interested in you like that! You are too old to think a guy like that likes you as more than a friend! Guys NEVER like you as more than a friend. She took a deep breath and rolled her eyes wondering why she was so flustered by Joe. She hadn't felt like this about a man in years and now all the sudden, one afternoon of practicing a speech and she was giddy as a teenager. It was against everything she thought she should feel as a grown woman of 43 and the funny thing was, she liked feeling that way. And it scared her to feel that way.