Testing Gravity

"Hand in my hand and you promised to never let go

"Hand in my hand and you promised to never let go."
Tightrope
Michelle Williams
The Greatest Showman

The sky felt purple, devour-able and pleasant. Small buildings passed by as little blurs in George's vision but he didn't pay them any mind. With fingertips dancing along the air waves he let himself sink. Freedom right in his grasp at any moment of time. His parents had not contacted him since he took his things and left. Part of him wondered if that's really it with them, wondered if that's all it took to leave.

"Welcome to the Lumi district, George."

Dream was fully covered tonight, tight clothing covering everything but his neck. The mask kept the pretty smiles from forcing their way into George's heart. He kept waiting, but nothing had happened since their discussion in the alley. George tried not to anticipate it too much but it was constantly in the back of his mind.

The street lamps ended suddenly, the night pitch black. Dream reached forward and switched on his LEDs. Everything was green around them. Comforting and familiar they drove in a green haze of light smoke. And then Sapnap showed up. Nosing his burnt orange Nissan NSX up next to Dream's car, when he floored the engine spewed fire around them. Dream let out a curse and swerved around the heat wave threatening the pain on his car.

"Fuck yeah!" Sapnap had both boyfriends in his car this time, both in the front seat. Which was not safe, but George guessed nothing they did when driving is safe. They... street race.

"Dumbass." Dream shook his head like he's disappointed, but the insult came out so fond that it sounded like an endearment.

George sighed and slumped back into his seat, "You guys are so cool."

"We're reckless and dumb," Dream corrected.

"It's still cool." They entered a tunnel as he spoke. The air compressing the two while their driver's cars took rights and lefts on instinct rather than windshield view. George suddenly understood why he couldn't drive his own car. "I remember seeing you guys on a road one night and wondering where you were going."

"You saw us?"

"Yeah," George said. Realization coming in as he spoke about it, "I was driving Genevieve home that night I found Karl. And you guys cut me off at a suburban intersection, not close from the house now that I think about it."

Dream hummed to acknowledge he was listening and pulled George's hand up to kiss it, even through the mask it brought an onslaught of feelings. The warmth in his stomach once would have freaked him out, now he basked in it like a desperate reptile with sunlight.

"I thought you were crazy," he said. "Why the hell would someone drive so recklessly, but in the end I thought you guys were cool. I still think that."

Dream shifted gears and released George's hand just to dive it into the sea of brown strands. It needed to be cut from his eyes, but George hadn't cared enough to groom it. Dream would love him either way so it didn't come off as a life or death situation. Ruffling the gentle curls he said, "You're one of us now, Daredevil."