Get Lost

"Get out the dark and into the light

"Get out the dark and into the light."
Sex, Drugs, Etc.

He could still feel it sometimes, the pain that is. The searing fire of a puncturing gunshot wound. Oftentimes the screams of his lover's protests burned out and sizzled within the confines of his skull, his ears. When the rain came his shoulder ached, when the sun rose only slightly off, he could not pull himself from the warm bed sheets they shared. George thought the torment would never end some of the times. And then there were days it'd never happened at all.

The air was finally warm. Summertime whispering sweet nothings onto his skin with lips of heat on his cheeks. Wind and breezes were kin to humidity and mirages on the asphalt. He liked the summer better; it didn't remind him of anything.

"George?" Sapnap was looking at him like that again. The look developed shortly after he came home from the hospital. It felt like pity, like the desolate eyes of a small child. He looked away when George met him. "You up for a race tonight?"

A race. Which kind, he wanted to ask. A death trap, a friendly competition? It shouldn't be a problem, having the sudden fear of it all. George loved all of it, the adrenaline, breathing in cold road air, but trauma was a funny thing to tame. It did what it pleased. The first few weeks after it all happened felt like a pipe dream compared to now. Everything was fine. More than actually.

He shrugged, "Maybe. Dream didn't want to race you?"

"Him, Big Q, and Wilbur are having a rally with some of the representatives of a new group." Sapnap tilted his head, "Dream didn't tell you?"

That was another factor to George's healing process, Dream. Despite their relationship being fully established, it still had twists and turns that hadn't exactly straightened out. Girls still flirted with no remorse and George was left on the sideline to deal with his own personal jealousy. And Dream had turned so overprotective that George felt suffocated. True love at its finest.

Left in the dark once again, George said, "No. He probably forgot; they seem busy lately."

Sapnap didn't seem so convinced, but he moved on either way, "Well, your car is repaired. Thought maybe you'd want to take it out tonight."

He didn't understand why he wanted to say no so badly, but he brushed past the thought, "Yeah sure. What time?"

Sapnap grinned and tossed him a jacket, "Now."

***

Surprisingly enough, Las Nevadas hadn't changed much. Cars still lined the street and people still revved the cars. Drunk, inebriated, and high, people crowded together around trash bin bonfires, cooking and dancing to music. Lights flashed in George's mirror as he drove up to the central of the congregation. The casino had been updated via money Wilbur donated to the cause. Quackity had been so over joy he snogged his friend drunk. Although the two weren't together they were quite fond friends, always whispering and scheming in the background. George asked if Big Q wanted to be with Wilbur and received a firm slap to tell him he was already in a committed relationship. George didn't ask again.