“No.” I shook my head, hoping he wouldn’t notice that I was lying.

Theo was looking at me suspiciously. I looked away from him, hoping that he wouldn’t ask me anything else. I was a terrible liar.

“Okay, Lulu, let’s get to work.” Mike said breaking the awkward silence.

Theo let me go and I followed Mike to the kitchen. Before closing the door, I turned to look at my brothers.

“You don’t have to be here all day, you know.” I said with a small smile. “There actually are hiking trails around here. You could go outside instead of just sitting here all day.”

“No.” Theo said, looking away from me and walking to their usual booth.

“Even if we did manage to convince Theo to go, he would just keep whining until we got back.” Ezra said, smirking.

“I don’t whine.” Theo argued, glaring at Ezra.

“Yes, you do.” Noah said, sitting next to him.

Theo and Noah started bickering back and forth, and it made me chuckle. I closed the kitchen door behind me and got to work.

The day flew by pretty fast. I was talking to my brothers every chance I got. Liam kept repeating that I didn’t have to work anymore, but I wanted to. I wanted to spend as much time with Mike as I could, and the diner was the only escape from home I had. Also, I needed to talk to Rosie about quitting.

Rosie was the owner. She was a sweet old lady who came by the diner once a week to check on everything. She had full faith in Mike to run this place for her. And Mike did. He was amazing at it. I was sure he was going to have his own restaurant one day. Mike told me that Rosie will be here tomorrow, so I will get a chance to talk to her and tell her that I’m quitting.

“We will see you tomorrow, love.” Liam said as he ran his fingers through my hair.

I was done with work, and I was heading home. I really hoped that Jack was passed out drunk. I didn’t think I had the energy for another injury today. My whole body was screaming in pain. I was now taking two painkillers at the time, and they were barely doing anything to stop the pain.

“This is so hard.” Theo whined into my shoulder.

“I know, Theo.” I said, rubbing his back soothingly. “Just a little while longer, okay?”

He mumbled something I couldn’t hear and pulled away from me.

“Don’t be late tomorrow.” he said.

I smiled and nodded. Noah wrapped me in a hug and kissed the top of my head.

“I’ll miss you, Sunshine.” he said.

“I’ll miss you too, Smiley.” I said, smiling at him.

He grinned at me and let me go. Ezra kissed my temple and I said goodbye to my brothers.

On my way back to Jack’s house, I was begging and pleading with every deity that I could think of to help me. I just wanted Jack to be asleep.

My pleas fell on deaf ears.

“Lucy Ferri.” I heard his drunken voice as soon as I entered the house.

I gulped and tears started forming in my eyes. Please no, not tonight.

I turned around slowly and saw him leaning on the doorframe with a sinister smirk on his face. He was drunk.

“How long until you leave me, Lucy?” he asked.

“Why do you care?” I asked quietly. “You never wanted me. You should be happy, Sir. You don’t have to put up with me anymore.”

Jack laughed. “Oh, I’m not putting up with you, doll. I’m using you.”

The nickname made my insides twist. Why did he say that? Did he know? Did Brian tell him to call me that?

“Using me for what?” I managed to ask him, my voice trembling.

“Revenge.” Jack said, taking a few steps toward me.

“Why?” I asked, backing away from him until I hit a wall.

He closed the distance between us in a few long strides. He grabbed my chin, forcing me to look at him. Silent tears ran down my cheek.

“Your whore of a mother thought that she could cheat on me.” he said, grabbing something from his pocket.

I gulped and tried to look down, but I couldn’t see the thing in his hand.

“You are a substitute, doll.” he whispered in my ear, raising the object to my face. “If she was alive, she would be the one receiving my punishment.”

I gasped when I saw a knife. He was running the blade up and down my cheek.

“But the bitch got drunk and got herself killed in an accident.” Jack sighed. “She left me with a spoiled little brat who looks like her.”

Jack smirked at me as he continued gliding his knife from my cheek to my neck.

“I’m somewhat glad she left you with me.” he continued, the strong smell of alcohol coming from his mouth made me want to throw up. “I get to have a lot of fun with you, and tonight we will have so much fun.”

I closed my eyes, choking on a sob. I imagined my brothers’ hands around me and tried to find just a small ounce of strength to survive another night with Jack.