Betsy chuckled and sighed, “I don’t think there’s much future ahead of me.”
Margaret sniffled, “Do you have no plans to apologize for neglecting us when we needed you the most? The manipulation instead of just talking to us to get us to behave? Do you have no plans to turn a new leaf and stop running the house with an iron fist and bring some warmth into the house? Do you have no plans to apologize to Koruna for everything you have done and will probably do to her? Or did you think you have been perfect?”

“Margaret!!!” Betsy screamed, Margaret shook but held her glare. She had kept it in long enough, the only reason she did all those stupid things was to gain her attention but it was all about the company for Betsy. She wanted to be seen, she wanted to be comforted and she was tired of being the emotional dumpster for Annie and Bernie. Kelvin did well on his own but those two became more violent after their parent’s death, she had had to clean their messes all this time.

“No, I will not be scared into silence grandma. We have all made foolish mistakes and we have apologized for it over time but I have never heard you say the words I’m sorry. We have feelings too, we get hurt too by the words that come out from those lips, we need this, I need this. It is the only way we can start afresh.” Margaret wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Everything I did, I did for you.” Betsy said stonily.

“Did you?” Margaret pressed.

“Everything! Do you have to be so weak? Emotions won’t help you achieve anything and it will cloud your judgement. Have you learned nothing from Koruna? She grew up in the worst of conditions yet is one of the bravest minds I have come across, what is your excuse Margaret?” Betsy taunted.

“This, the comparison, the breaking down of my confidence, the constant and unrealistic expectations. I am not you and I am not Koruna. My name is Margaret Ballan, the first child of Charles and Joanna Ballan. I get hurt and I cry but at the same time, I learn from my shortcomings, I am me grandmother, I might not be as strong and daring as Koruna, I might not be as intelligent as you or as beautiful as Annie. I might not be as shrewd as Kelvin or as rational as Bernie but I have my strengths and if you would take your time to see me, really see me then you’d see that too.” Margaret stormed away and slammed the door.

Betsy whispered out loud, “Has she always been like that?”

“She is gentle most of the time but she has the worst anger amongst us all. She is actually quite scary when she gets like that but she is right. The reason we have managed to have any kind of morality is because of her and you should give her a chance.” Bernie said quietly and left the room.

“The rest of you can leave.” Betsy ordered, Shola who had been quiet all through sighed deeply after they had all left.

“She has a fire.” Betsy smiled at him.

“I told you.”

“She finally stood up to me, it is refreshing.” Betsy smiled proudly.

“This has been what you wanted but you should apologize. Especially now, you did manipulate her yet again. There has been no contention regarding her being your heir but you have always thought her too nice, polite and easily influenced. You need her now, there can be no better time than now to reconcile with your grandchildren, make new memories Betsy. You don’t have a lot of time left.” Shola said solemnly.

“Kelvin was right, you are more than my assistant.” Betsy smiled.

“I know that.” Shola rolled his eyes.

“You usually roll your eyes behind my back, it seems it’s everyone’s bravery day. How is Koruna?” She sighed.

“Better, she’s getting better. R’ao has ensured she has the best services, you can be rest assured.” Shola answered.

“I am not happy about being involved with the Arks, they are too unpredictable especially with his engagement to Precious. Makun is a despicable man and I will not be too surprised if he had a hand in her kidnap.”

“We shouldn’t throw accusations like that, why would he risk his relationship with you for something like that? It makes no sense.” Shola argued.

Betsy kept quiet for lack of a better argument point, Shola had a point. Makun was more or less an ass kisser, since he is one of the major suppliers of cotton. He would not risk money or business unless there were better benefits somewhere else and she could not think of anyone more powerful than the Ballans when it came to Cotton industry.

“I hate being in the dark Shola, please find out more about the Koruna situation. I still remember Jason as a boy, it is hard to believe that he’s capable of that kind of evil. Find a thread, a pattern, anything in his past and make sense of it.” She ordered.

“I have my people on ground, I am working on it.” Shola said.

“Thank you.”

“Anytime.”

Koruna was reading a book while Oni drew on his pad, the door opened and Jacob Ark stood at the door with a bottle of wine and two glass cups.

“If it isn’t the girl who has taken my two boys away from me.” Jacob came in with a jovial smile.

Koruna tensed at the sight of Jacob, Oni swallowed and bowed.

“Give us a couple minutes alone.” Jacob said to Oni who stood where he was.

“I’m sorry but I can’t. R’ao’s orders.” Oni replied with his head down.

“Interesting, I believe I outrank R’ao and I am telling you to scram.”

“I have to decline, you might outrank R’ao but I am under his command. You said so yourself.” Oni stood his ground.

Jacob looked at him dangerously and shook his head, he laughed at the situation. “Okay, suit yourself.”

Jacob sat on another chair, “I believe we have met before, Koruna.”

“We have, I am sorry that I couldn’t welcome you properly. Broken ribs and all.” Koruna smiled at him.

They watch each other for some seconds, Jacob chuckled at her nerve. He was surprised that she maintained eye contact with him for that long, he knew there and then from those eyes that she was not ordinary.

“Wine?” He offered.

“Can’t, doctor’s orders.” Koruna replied.

“No alcohol, I wouldn’t offer that to a sick person. What kind of man do you take me for?” Jacob teased with a sly smile.

“I don’t know, what kind of man are you?” She collected the glass and positioned it to be filled, she groaned internally at its sweet taste.

“The kind of man that knows his wine and one who wants the best for his son. Did you know that he broke his engagement to Precious?” He swirled the drink in his cup.

“I might have heard about it.” Koruna raised her brow.

“Good, this will be easy then. How much is enough to keep you away from R’ao” He said maintaining his crossed leg stance.

He focused intently on her expressions so he could determine what kind of person she was but she did not even so much as blinked when she answered.

“Depends, how much do you have?” She smirked at him.