01. camp shallow lake

one,
camp shallow lake

       "DAD," PHOEBE MILLER pulled away from her father

"DAD," PHOEBE MILLER pulled away from her father. He was acting like she was leaving for forever. "I'm leaving for camp and coming back in two weeks."

"You're right," James Miller nodded, raising his hands in surrender and stepping back so he was closer to the grass. "You're right. Sorry."

"It kinda sucks that it's only for two weeks," Jack commented, frowning. "Dad needs to be able to spend more time with his favorite child."

"I don't have favorites-" James tried.

Phoebe rolled her eyes at him. "Yeah, I'm gonna miss you too, J."

"Bee, I'm sorry, but if we want to get there at a good time, we have to leave now," Clara poked her out the window.

"Okay," Phoebe nodded, turning back to her family. "I love you guys."

James pulled her close and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Love you too, sweetie. Try to have fun."

"I will," Phoebe promised. She ruffled her brothers hair before getting into the car. Phoebe waved to her family as Nicholas Valentine, Clara's boyfriend, drove away from her house.

The beginning of the trip consisted of Clara and Phoebe screaming Taylor Swift (naturally) and Nick looking at them like they were crazy. Eventually, he started to sing along. It got quiet after a while, mostly because their throats had started hurting.

Phoebe went on Snapchat and started going through people's stories. Opening Kourtney's story, she was immediately met with a video of EJ singing Uptown Girl. Gina was laughing at him while singing along. Phoebe closed Snapchat and turned her phone off. She started to feel sick.

The first time EJ had said I love you to Phoebe, she'd been playing Uptown Girl. She remembered it so clearly. They had been in her room and she'd started playing it, forcing him to dance around with her. After the first verse, he'd leaned closer to her and whispered it in her ear.

The longer the car ride went on, the more Phoebe felt like she'd made a mistake choosing to go to Camp Shallow Lake with Clara and Nick. EJ went every year, she felt like she was being a bit obsessive even though she wasn't even going for him.

This was her last summer with her friends before she started working on becoming an actual artist. Sure, maybe most of her friendships were a little rocky at the moment, but still.

Besides, it was too late to turn back.

There were a lot of people at camp by the time they got there. Phoebe looked around at everybody and her eyes landed on the person she'd been dreading seeing. He was looking at her too. She looked away and pretended to continue taking everything in.