chapter 9

Chapter 9
Hold Steady

Florence and Minho's meeting hadn't been quiet enough, because somehow word of the Griever scavenger hunt got back to Gally. The likely culprit was one of the former Runners, most of which had chosen to be a Builder as their new career path. Gally had stormed through the Glade in search of the Keepers and - even though Florence and Newt were the only people available - forced them into the Council Hall for a meeting.

For the first few minutes, Gally was the only one speaking. Newt leaned against the bar in disgruntled silence, and Florence sat a bit away from Gally on one of the benches. She was hunched over with her heel tapping the ground while she listened to Gally's ongoing list of complaints.

"Honestly, I don't know why we're even talking about this," Gally said as he ran a hand down his face. You called this meeting, Florence thought bitterly. His most recent concern had been about the matter of Alby. He believed that, despite all Alby had done for the Glade, a sting was a sting and he needed to be Banished. "We don't have a choice." Florence and Newt were adamantly against this idea, but Newt didn't feel like starting an argument just then. That wouldn't last long.

"Flo." She flicked her eyes up, sighing at his grimace of sympathy. "How's he doing?" Florence's mind drifted back to the Med Hut in which she'd spent most of her day. The black veins were spreading, and the color of Alby's wound was beginning to darken. But the sobs were what plagued her.

"I don't-" she sputtered, throwing up her hands and dropping them in her lap. "Bad, getting worse." A blunt reply, but she couldn't think of anything else to say. Gally's hand twitched, as if he meant to rest it on her shoulder but thought better of it. He dug his nails into his leather cuff, feeling the slightest twinge of guilt about bringing up Alby's Banishment in the first place.

"We'll just have to keep an eye on him, I guess," Newt replied with a resigned sigh. No one spoke then, not even Gally, which Florence took to be the end of their meeting. She braced herself for the return to the Med Hut and stood to leave.

The Council Hall door slammed open, hitting the wall with a crack. Minho stormed in, tailed by Thomas and the rest of the Keepers. Their eyes went to Florence first, who gave a firm nod to tell them it was okay.

"Oh, how nice of you to join us," Gally chastised, rising from the bench and folding his arms. Without turning around, Florence put a hand in front of his chest - don't try anything. "Enjoy your little field trip?"

"For the record," Florence said calmly when Minho's eyes flicked to her, "I didn't tell him." She bit the inside of her lip when she felt Gally and Newt's gazes land on her, the former's with far more offense behind it.

"I knew you wouldn't, Flo," Minho reassured her. "Thanks for trying."

"Wh-"

"What the hell, Gally?" Minho spat, stalking forward and cutting off the Builder's appalled sputter. "You think you can call a Keeper meeting without us?" Florence side-stepped, putting herself between the two boys.

"Last time I checked, the Greenie wasn't a Keeper," Gally hissed. The rest of the Keepers shifted uncomfortably, debating whether or not they should intervene. "You mind waiting outside?" Thomas opened his mouth, ready to defend himself.

"It's fine."

"He stays."

Florence and Minho spoke at the same time, only infuriating Gally further. To him, this meant that Florence was siding with the Greenie. And while this was absolutely not the case, Gally had a tendency to jump to conclusions when things weren't going his way. Minho looked between the small gathering of three, trying to make sense of the energy in the room. Newt was staring at the floor, Florence was staring at Thomas, and Gally was staring at Florence. Something had happened in the brief meeting before the rest of the Keepers - and their stowaway Greenie - had arrived.