26 | POGUE LIFE SUCKS |

Outer Banks, Thornton's houseJuly 15th, 20204:12 pm

July 15th, 2020
4:12 pm

I got out of the van and made sure to thank John B for the ride before rushing over to the front door of my house. I opened it and the sweet smell of my mother's carrot cake filled my nostrils. It was for sure the only thing she could bake but it tasted so good it compensated it all. Not even five seconds after my feet had stepped inside our mansion, Gaby waddled over to me and I kneeled to give him kisses and back rubs.

"Hello cute boy," I mumbled as he licked my forearms gleefully. "Oh I'm happy to see you too"

I then made my way to the kitchen and smiled as I saw my mother having a small talk with my boyfriend who helped her with the cake icing. I stood there silently, watching them, just admiring the view of two people I loved together. After having a day full of anxiety, this sight made me feel a bit better and I decided to quietly walk closer. I wrapped my arms around my boyfriend's torso, hugging him from behind gently, which made my mother turn to look at me.

"Hi darling," she greeted gently.

"Hi," I responded, before pressing a kiss on Rafe's muscular back. "What are you plotting?"

Rafe laughed and I unwrapped my arms from around him, which allowed him to turn around and press a kiss on my head. I smiled more and my mother left the kitchen winking at me, which I wasn't really sure why but it was nice she allowed us some privacy. Rafe's arms found their way around my waist and I rested my head on his chest, silently. I could hear his heartbeat fastening a little and it made me giggle softly. "How were the waves?" he asked me, rubbing my back and I felt bad.

"Huge," I lied, looking at him. "But I didn't surf a lot"

"Oh yeah?" he asked me, a smirk spread over his lips. "So what did you do during your free time? robbed Barry?"

My heart skipped a beat at those words and more than not knowing how to respond to this question, I didn't know how he had learned about it. My cheeks turned red and I pulled away from him, so that I could lock my eyes in his. He replaced my hair behind both of my ears and pressed a soft and wet kiss on my forehead. "I didn't want to upset you," I just stated.

He nodded and ran an hand through his hair as the other one made its way under my oversized t-shirt and caressed my waist gently. I found weird he wasn't yelling at me that I was stupid and shouldn't have done it because Barry was dangerous and he'd come back for me, but I appreciated it. He looked calm and it wasn't usual of him, so I embraced this moment and smiled as his fingers relaxed me gently.

"Look, do whatever you want," he began, trailing kisses up and down my jaw to my neck. "But if shit goes down you're going to have to let me take care of my own business"

I frowned. "It's not your business though, I can handle it alone," I responded.

Rafe laughed obnoxiously as his lips pulled away from my skin right before they could give it a hickey and I wrapped my arms around his neck so that he had to face my eyes and couldn't avoid them. I didn't know what had him laughing so loudly but apparently, it was the funniest thing he had heard in a row. When the laugh subsided, he rolled eyes and sighed.