4 | JEEZ' YOUR SON IS AN ASSHOLE |

Outer Banks, Thornton's house July 3rd, 20201:13 am

July 3rd, 2020
1:13 am

I opened the front door and darted into my house, discovering the living-room's lights still turned on. As I stepped in the huge room, I noticed Topper in an agitated conversation with our parents.

"There she is," my brother ran to me, and he immediately pulled me in a hug, which I didn't expect. "I was so scared"

I pressed my hands on his chest and pushed him away from me, as far as I could, not willing to share this embrace with him. "Stop pretending! I hate you!" I yelled at his face.

"What's going on darling?" my mother asked, confused.

"You wanna know? Topper didn't tell you?" I shouted loudly, sick of him acting like the perfect child.

Topper stared at me with wide eyes, as tears pecked mine. I couldn't just tell them their son had tried to kill someone, but if I didn't, then Pogues would be the target, once again. And it would never end.

"I-I," I stuttered, looking first at my brother, and then at them. "There was a fight and, well.."

"Tess," Topper tried to temper so I wouldn't snitch on him. He begged me with his look and I softly bit my lower lip.

"There was a fight and he left me," I lied, looking into his eyes. I discerned relief in his gaze, almost gratitude. "I was scared, and I called him several times but he didn't respond. That's why I-I'm upset"

My mother nodded softly, and my father grabbed my hand. "That is why you should not go to those Pogue parties, they're dangerous and always degenerate"

"Yeah, dirty Pogues," Topper scoffed.

(...)

Outer Banks, Thornton's house
July 3rd, 2020
12:10 am

"Tess! Please check on the chicken or else it'll be overcooked!" my mother yelled as I finished brushing my hair. "Hurry up!"

"Fine! I'm coming!" I hissed.

I made my way into the kitchen, the sharp smell of burned food aching my nose. I opened the oven and pulled the dish out, already too late apparently. I coughed and tried to chase away the smoke with my hands, as Topper made his way next to me.

"Well, mom's in progress," he scoffed.

I laughed, rolling eyes. "Yeah, maybe this time we can just.. pull off the bad parts"

We laughed in synch and I grabbed a knife, scrubbing the burned flesh. I almost cut my finger off, which caused Topper to grab the knife and take place where I initially was.

"Apparently you're better at using a gun than using a knife, right?" he stated, as I grabbed a rag and cleaned my hands.

"Yeah, well you weren't complaining yesterday, were you?" I responded, taken aback by his nerve.