18 | HE'S MY BOYFRIEND |

Outer Banks, Thornton's houseJuly 11th, 20203:22 am

July 11th, 2020
3:22 am

My room's door cracked open and the sound it provoked woke me up in a jump scare but my tired and sleepy eyes couldn't get a glimpse of whatever or whoever was stepping in my room since they didn't adapt to the darkness so quickly. It scared me, to be very honest, and the first thing I thought was that maybe Topper had came to murder me.

"Who's there?" I whispered, sitting up on the mattress. "I got a gun, and a knife"

Those words made whoever was inside the dark room with me laugh and I then squinted my eyes in an attempt to discern better the silhouette but as the person crashed on my bed and wrapped my body with their arms, I immediately knew who was there. Those arms were too small to be Rafe's, and the scent filling up my nostrils allowed me to guess who pulled me in an unexpected hug.

"Oh do you?" Sarah's voice asked and we both giggled. "Stab or shoot me then"

"I don't really have those things," I said still laughing as I laid back on my bed and rested my head on her shoulder.

I felt safe by her side, and as she pulled the covers on our bodies, I appreciated not to be alone. Even though I would have liked the idea of being with her brother more, her presence by my side was truly enjoyable. She pressed a gentle kiss on the top of my head and I closed my eyes, a soft smile spread over my lips.

"I needed to talk, and since Topper never asked for the keys back, I just got in," she explained to avoid potential questions I assumed.

"You did great," I responded. "I'm just surprised you're not with John B"

She laughed and thumped my arm gently, as we both tried to remain as quiet as possible but it was complicated and so we had to wait for our laughs to subside before the conversation could keep going, knowing that after how bad my parents had yelled at me, it wasn't exactly  the right timing for a sleepover.

"He's like, so perfect," she stated. "I mean, I had so much more fun with him in one single day than I ever had in full months of dating Topper"

I nodded. "John B is the best"

"Yes he is," she giggled and no matter how dark the room was, I knew how hard she was blushing. "And he's a great kisser, much better than your brother"

I rolled eyes, smiling even though she couldn't see it, and I bit the inside of my cheek. I remembered when and how she had announced me Topper and her were dating like he was the day before, and I remembered exactly how I had felt. It was mid February, through the phone, just before winter break. The first time I had seen them together as a couple was quite weird, but I eventually got used to the sight of them going full PDA at family lunches, which was very cringe.

"Yeah, about that," I began, a bit embarrassed and not sure how to tell her I was now the one dating her brother. "I have a boyfriend"

She got more tense underneath me and she pushed me off her, which caused me to rest my head on my pillow as she raised up on her right elbow to prove me her surprise. "And who is he?" she asked. "Like, were you not going to tell me at all?"