23 | TURNS OUT I'M TOO PRETTY TO CRY |

Outer Banks, Thornton's houseJuly 14th, 20207:22pm

July 14th, 2020
7:22pm

(mentions of drugs, disease)

I stepped in my house, closed the door behind me and looked all around to see if my parents were home. I had asked Topper to tell them I wouldn't be home for the night but if they saw me coming back then they'd never allow me to leave again and I wouldn't make it to join my friends. I heard noise coming from the kitchen so I stepped very quietly towards it and since the door was half-opened, it allowed me to throw a rapid glance at whoever was in the room.

I gasped when I saw Rafe, alone, opening the fridge and taking a beer out of it. The boy felt my presence behind him and turned around rapidly which didn't give me the chance to hide. I stood there, in the doorframe, as his eyes laid on me and it felt like my heart would explode in my chest. I had only came home to get dark clothes and one or two flashlights for my friends but never even in my wildest thoughts I would have expected Rafe to be home.

"Tessa," he smiled softly. "I just knew you'd come back to me"

I rolled eyes. "I'm only here for a minute, I didn't come back to you," I explained.

I walked away and made my way upstairs, as I heard him chugging a beer and following me. I hurried as I reached the hallway and got inside my room, before opening the drawer and anxiously throwing all the colourful clothes on the ground. My heartbeat kept accelerating, and as stress pounded in my ears, I didn't make it to find what I was looking for. I couldn't confront him for the third time during the same day, I was exhausted and couldn't believe he didn't understand I simply needed peace. "What are you looking for?" he asked me but I didn't respond so he sighed.

He placed his tall body in between mine and the drawer so that I couldn't avoid looking at him and I sighed. "Get out of my way, respectfully," I groaned in annoyance, crossing my arms over my chest as my eyes met his.

"Stop being like this," he sighed. "You're being childish and you know I hate it"

"Get out of my way!" I screamed at him.

"You're really testing my patience today aren't you?" Rafe argued, grabbing me by the arm and throwing me on the bed.

I immediately sat up on the bed and more tears streamed down my face, as sobs escaped my throat. It wasn't fair I didn't even get the few hours of peace I had asked him for and I didn't even feel okay in my own house, in my own bedroom. I hated how no matter how much he physically and mentally hurt me, my love for him didn't reduce even a just tiny bit. My eyes filled up with tears, and I gave up. I didn't want to fight against him, if he wanted to talk then we would, because it meant then he wouldn't harass me.

"No, no," Rafe immediately felt bad and sat next to me, pulling me in his arms. "I didn't mean to make you cry"

I pushed him off me before his eyes met mine and I felt like breaking down again. l didn't want his hands on me or his arms wrapped around my body, not after he had slapped me, hit me so my brother had to step in, harassed me with tens of phone calls, slept with another girl and threw me on the bed like I was just some useless girl he wanted control over. Because I couldn't deal with him if it was only about making me cry and then apologising over and over.