02 - joint

(chapter two)

     CASSIE WAS IN HER ROOM unpacking, she loved the room she stayed in when she came to the beach house

     CASSIE WAS IN HER ROOM unpacking, she loved the room she stayed in when she came to the beach house. It was perfect for her, she had posters still on the wall since middle school she would never take down and it's still got stuffed animals from when she was a baby on the bed. There was a bean bag in the corner, there were fairy lights hanging everywhere with the vines everyone has.

Cassie decided to take a quick nap before dinner where she would unfortunately be forced to socialize.

Steven and Jeremiah continued to test Laurel's patience as they laughed at something on Steven's phone. "Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket."

Cassie smirked at them while Susannah spoke, "It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days."

Steven continued to stare at the phone, while Jeremiah tried to grab his attention. Suddenly Jeremiah snatched the phone out Steven's hands and threw it into the screen basket while Steven yelled at him.

Jeremiah hollered and cheered for himself, "Okay, okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out." Steven told the boy, Jeremiah sat down and Belly joked with Steven.

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you."

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now. Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits." Steven defended himself causing laughter to erupt from the table.

"Please, Steve, when do you wear tailored suits?" Cassie remarked at the boy causing him to roll his eyes. Steven then turned to look at Conrad.

"When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven innocently asked, Conrad's smile immediately disappeared off his face and the table became quiet.

"Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah spoke for him, shocked faces appeared and Cassie whipped her head to look at the boy. Conrad loved football, and he was really good at it.

"Are you kidding me, man? I'd-I'd kill to play college ball." Steven spoke, not realizing what he's saying only making the situation worse.

"He can always change his mind."

"I'm not gonna change my mind." Conrad responded without missing a beat, "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways."

That's not true, Cassie thought.

"Well, if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?" Laurel spoke, Conrad shrugged and Steven decided to speak again.

"Oh, dude, you can work at the club. Yeah, with me and Jere." Steven stated, Jeremiah agreeing with him while Cassie couldn't imagine Conrad working at the country club.

Conrad made a disgusted face and shot down their idea while Belly question the two about them working. Cassie zoned out, done with the conversation. Not that she was adding much, she loved them, they were her family but she just didn't want to be at the dinner table anymore. Cassie wanted to go ahead and go to the bonfire she went to every year that a couple of teens threw on the first day of summer.

She came back into the conversation and heard Steven and Belly fighting about a cat funeral. She looked over to see what was in Belly's hands, not knowing that there was a certain pair of eyes on her. It was an invitation to be a debutante. Thank God I don't have to do that, she thought to herself as she leaned back over to her side.

     CASSIE WALKED OUTSIDE, lighting her joint, she stuck the lighter in her pocket and took the first puff before hearing a voice.

"Didn't know you smoked,"

She looked up to see Conrad sitting by the pool with the same idea as her, he brought his joint up to his lips while he waited for the girl's response. "Well, you don't know a lot about me considering the fact that you quit talking to me about six years ago." She didn't know where the sudden hostility came from, but she was in no mood, all she wanted was to smoke the joint, and then catch a ride to the bonfire with Jere.

The boy immediately looked down at the water as she took another puff and walked along the side of the pool across from him, he didn't know how to respond. He wasn't going to tell her the reason why he quit talking to her that's for sure. He looked up to see her sitting down, staring at the sky.

The moonlight put her facial features on show and he thought she never looked prettier. He watched as she brought the joint to her lips and inhaled and looked down again.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" She teased him, "I thought you were an athlete, why are you smoking?"

"Not an athlete anymore, so,"

"You should quit, it's not good for you."

"You're one to talk," He smirked at the drug in her hand and she put it out next to her. "There, your turn."

"What'll you give me if I do?" He blew out smoke and she looked at him with a smirk.

"Anything you want," She winked at him before standing up and walking to leave. Conrad stared at her in shock, he was definitely not expecting her to respond like that. His eyes didn't leave her figure walking away until Jeremiah and Steven came out.

"First bonfire of the summer!" Steven and Jeremiah shouted, Cassie high-fived the both of them. "You gonna ride with us, Cass?"

Cassie's smile dropped a little thinking about getting in a car, "Uh, no, you guys go ahead, I still have to get ready." She made up the excuse, she was ready but she just didn't want to get in the car unless she had to.

Cassie walked inside and went up the stairs, she changed from her t-shirt into a cropped tank top so Jeremiah and Steven would think she actually had to change. Then she walked back downstairs to the moms, "Okay, I'm leaving for the bonfire, bye guys!" They all murmured there goodbyes as she walked out the back door and began to descend down the beach.

authors note

second chapter done!!

ok i've been thinking of ship names and i don't think there's a good one, let me know what u think